Backwater 26.5 EFI review

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Glades Ranger, May 8, 2016.

1. phoneman

phoneman Senior Refuge Member

Love shooting the ringers, but not a big fan of their taste as much as a wood duck or teal. If I cant shoot a mallard or gadwall in AR I'll stick to woodie holes here in SC

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Wish I had the luxury to choose other species, but they are my main course. Nothing wrong with their flavor, but my daughter prefers teal, and I enjoy them all.

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

This area I'm retired in up here in Minnie, is a major ringneck staging area.
    While we shoot a variety of ducks, ringers are #1 season long. Up here they just absolutely love the wild rice marshes & bays. They feed in the dark if the hunting pressure forces them to. They are addicted to it. Makes for delicious eating birds. I've had some bad tasting mallards & other ducks too, but never a bad Ringer from this area. They some times aren't near as good out in the Dakotas. Depends on their diet.

Ringbill

4. Glades Ranger

Exactly, Ringbill! I think they are mostly eating veggies here, they love hydrilla buds, and hydrilla is invasive so the authorities have periodically sprayed herbicide, and that nixes them in some areas, but the ringers are good eating for sure! I shy away from bluebill (scaup) and mergansers. If you know how to cook coot, you can fool the savviest gourmands!
    By the way, we've had ample rain, yesterday I ran out some five miles into the marsh, all the way to one of my spots. The Backwater is great!

5. Glades Ranger

By the way, Ringbill, I would like to reciprocate and invite you to hunt ringers in the glades, if ever you are down here vacationing in winter. We do not have freeze ups, the skeeters, storms, and gators are much milder in winter.

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Thanks for the invite, Glades. It would be fun to do some Ringer hunting with you! Lots of wild rice this year & very good water levels. Duck production (here) is pretty good. I've been running my rig on occasion, checking out vegetation & areas I hunt. It changes year to year, in varying degrees.
    New electronic fuel pump seems to be working on that 23 MB.

Ringbill

7. Glades Ranger

Ran the boat yesterday! Glad to say the water is up, approximately 20". Back at the end of June I bottomed out after 1/4 mile. Went back to the 9x7 prop, tops out at 3800-3870 rpm under load wide open, 20 mph. The 9x6 could turn 4200 rpm but only a hair (.3 mph) faster, but did not run as "smooth". Tried the cavitation plate in both the front/rear holes and the rear setting was better, at least do not need any shims! Ran through plenty of veggies and the prop did not foul, a few weeds snagged on the forward edge of the plate, but that was due to the rubber seal being partly split- have replaced that. The EFI starts right up and powers up nimbly. I am using less gas! It is significant with the new efficiency; I only carry 6 gallons full and that will serve for three roundrip runs/hunts of 10 miles. Moving the engine pivot point forward, to the rearmost hole on the bottom swivel bracket, allows me now to raise the prop more easily and the motor will stay balanced forward and not creep back.
    Did not see one duck! Hope the teal are on the move, there is actually too much water now for them, will scout elsewhere.
    After 25 hours will switch to synthetic oil and try the E3 plugs.

8. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I just purchased this motor and am thinking I want a 9x6 prop, as I often carry a heavier load. Can you elaborate on not running as "smooth". I would like a little more throttle response than had with the 9x7.

9. Glades Ranger

You will certainly spin more rpms with the 9x6. I attribute less smooth to more vibration...this could be due simply to the prop perhaps not being as fully balanced. My testing recently has been with a full hunting load and I finally got it balanced and it was sweet running. I will try the 9x6 again. I initially did experience more blowouts with the 9x6. My grizzly hull is definitely not made for a MM, and is a compromise. What hull are you using for the 26.5, with my last motor, a MB 27 LT, it did run better with the 9x6 Hill Marine prop.

10. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

1648 FVMud Alweld.

I always downsized props before, opposed to what "they" suggested. Don't see it being any different with this motor.

I was just curious about the issue you had with it not running as smooth. Figured it would likely be an unbalanced prop.