Backwater 26.5 EFI review

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Glades Ranger, May 8, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Nice, I noticed last year Backwater added the true flat bottom Alwelds to their offerings. Is that .100 gauge? That would be ideal, not too heavy. You should see 21-22 mph hopefully, and you will probably not need any shimming.

2. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

You are correct.

Boat runs pretty good. Just needs some fine tuning. I'm often cover a lot of big water, and don't like to motor dropping RPMs when the angle of the boat changes due to waves and stuffs the prop deep.

Overall, I think the boat/motor will serve its purpose well.

3. Glades Ranger

Last week on the big lake I was crossing a deep open stretch and the water current came from behind and that was a chore. That has always been a weak area for a longtail. My last motor, an MB, ran just under the surface, unlike the BW. I was not sure how the BW was going to do in thick vegetation, the result was really good, went through hyacinth mats real well and when I had to dig, it dug fine. We donĀ“t have much mud here, and the bottom is hard, so the LT is a good fit. The much shorter turning radius now is also an improvement. I need to take stock of any fuses on the motor and to carry spares just in case.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

It doesn't cost much to have a prop balanced.

5. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

So just a quick update after using the motor for a season. Motor was solid. Never missed a beat. Held up well.

BUT...as I was thinking when I picked this motor up...i'm going back to Backwater this summer for a 35/37. A heavy 1648 is too much for the 26.5.

6. Glades Ranger

I know the big block Briggs will move it a bit better; I do suggest going with the 37 efi. On another forum someone said BW is introducing a lite versions of their 35/37 motors this summer. I don't foresee myself ramping up in size, if anything I may downsize. My 1648 grizzly was 395#, and having added an alum floor is probably closer now to 420. BW is IMO the best choice right now for an LT.