Backwater 35-37 lite

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Glades Ranger, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

BW will be introducing lite versions of the big block motors, this means no U-joint, direct drive shaft, offering a little more push and speed. This may prove to be the new paradigm of longtail, hoping somebody here will get lucky and test drive one!

2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Will be interesting to see. I might could be in the market for one of those. I have no longtail experience. I have a lowe 1648 mv low transom rated for 35hp. Not a mud boat. I was eyeballing up the 23. I like how short backwater motors seem to be. Obvious con of the lite is a slightly longer shaft but i dont know how big a deal that really is. I know u joints create power losses. I guess we will see.

3. Glades Ranger

Actually lite versions will be offered in both reg and short versions. I have the 59" BW 26.5 kohler efi on my 1648 grizzly and i get 20 mph by myself, pretty sure your hull could handle 35 or 37; if you have wood transom that can be reinforced, friends of mine have run gd and mb. 25 hplongtails successfully on 1648 rivetted lowe hulls for years.

4. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Good to know ! I was actually referring to the length difference between the swomp and the swomp Lite. I have a 15 inch transom. I have an old 25hp Johnson that weighs under 100 lb. Also have a gas tank, group 29 battery and minnkota tiller trolling motor in back right now. I know the 23 would be okay. A 35 might be getting heavy. I probably could get by by relocating the battery but I definitely do not want to get rid of the trolling motor. It has proven itself extremely useful for setting decoys as I sometimes have to hunt deep water.

5. Glades Ranger

23 with both electric and recoil start is good choice for that hull.

jthomp01 likes this.