Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Duck with Apricot/Orange Glaze

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by KS_SusieQ, Jun 20, 2011.

1. KS_SusieQ

KS_SusieQ Refuge Member

[​IMG]

- 3-5 whole duck or duck breast
    - 1 Pkg. bacon
    - (1) 18 oz. Orange or Apricot Preserves (I prefer Orange Marmalade)
    - 1/4 C honey
    - orange zest
    - pinch of cinnamon
    - pinch or 2 of nutmeg

Preparation:

Thaw duck, rinse well, and pat dry with paper towels. Wrap strips of bacon around each whole duck, or breast, and secure with toothpicks. I prefer using a charcoal grill, but the duck can be grilled on either a charcoal or gas grill. Stuff ducks with apples or onions, if desired. Make sure to add soaked hickory, or other wood chips to your grill to get that great smoked flavor. The ducks vary in time for your grill, but usually take 45min to 1hr, using a smaller, charcoal grill. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine the orange marmalade or apricot preserves, honey, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste. (I usually add 2 pinches of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon). Heat mixture together on low, BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN, to produce a warm sauce. (This sauce can be brushed on before you wrap your ducks and place on the grill, your choice.)

**This same recipe can be used for slow roasted duck in the oven, during those cold winter months if grilling is not an option.**

Notes:

Serve the duck with the orange sauce on top of, or on the side for dipping. I usually remove the bacon, and sking before indulging--your preference. I always cook wild rice and add it as a side; it goes EXCELLENT with the duck. Grilled corn and a nice wine would also compliment well.

Experiment with sides and ENJOY!!!

Attached Files:

2. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

i've used this alot. usually just wrpped the ducks in baccon and then add BBQ to them as they cooked. they are awsome.