Bad day today - lost my dog

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by COmarshrat, Dec 23, 2012.

1. COmarshrat

COmarshrat New Member

I had something aweful happen today. I was out at Pueblo Reservoir with my 1-1/2 year old lab Bailey and my 5 year old Abbey. I parked off of the north side on the west end up the river off Swallows Road. I walked up the river along the bank and saw it was all frozen. Walked up about 1/2 mile then decided that was a bust and was heading back to the parking lot to try somewhere else. Decided to walk away from the river because of the ice.

Dogs were just running around exploring when all of a sudden they got birdy and took off after a wounded drake mallard in the weeds. The duck went for the river and to a piece of open water in the river about 30 feet long by 4 or five feet wide. In went the dogs, and Abbey went for the duck. The duck dove and so did Abbey. Bailey came out and Abbey never did. There was frozen water for as far as i could see. I tried to get to her but broke through myself and realized I could end up the same way. I tried but I just couldn't save her.

I just had to tell someone other than my family. If anyone is out there and finds her (she had to have drown - I ran up and down the river trying to find her for an hour or more), I would like to know about it please. My cell number is 719-494-3008. Thank you and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

That's a tragedy - hope that you find her so you can put her to rest properly.

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

3. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

Very, very sorry to hear that.
    I live in the area and used to hunt it frequently.
    Prayers sent for you and your family.

4. buckscountyducks

buckscountyducks Refuge Member

I am very, very sorry to hear that. Maybe make a decoy in her memory? I have heard of this happening in PA with crippled divers and ice shelves on rivers.

Best to you and your family. I know it's crushing right before Christmas.

5. kellys

kellys Elite Refuge Member

There is always hope that they might make it, Happened to me several years ago, Thought Max was a gonner after a break through on the river here, I was sick for days after until I got a call from a farmer that said he (Max) was raping everything in site at his farm. He was ragged and worn out but was just fine after a good cleaning, I hope and pray that you might find your hunting buddy in good hands. I have lost dogs that have meant more to me that most people have, That says alot about the people these days!

6. DrakeDusterBPS

DrakeDusterBPS Senior Refuge Member

Man that is absolutely awful so sorry to hear that