Bad luck season!!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DWB5, Apr 27, 2017.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Well the season started out with a bang with my 9 year old daughter tagging out with her 4 birds early. Then it was my turn and it hasn't been my best year. I have hunted one henned up tom that dont gobble but 4 or 5 times a morning if that. Every time I try to get close to him on the roost he flies the other way. I finally killed one the 3rd week doing a scoot and shoot for the first time! Then I bumped one of the henned up birds I had hunted all year. A few days later I roosted a bird the next morning he wouldn't gobble and did not come to the fields. So with hard luck all year it brings me today. I found a birds strut zone and went in and set my blind up. About 10:00 he comes in gobbling he is coming up the hill I get my bow ready and he decides to turn and walk away gobbling for no reason I know he didn't see me. Then I drove the farm found one by himself. I set up on him he cut the distance really fast and just as he is coming up the hill people pull up at the property next to me that's for sell and he is gone. I mean all you can do is laugh!!! But this has to be one of my hardest seasons ever. Has anyone else had bad luck this year?

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I killed one my first weekend back from travel (on travel for the opener), and haven't killed one since. This is my second slow year in a row, but I am to blame for a lot of it. I have to admit to sleeping in one morning. It was that, or hunt a WMA on a day it was gonna rain. Bed sure was nice...

DWB5 likes this.
  3. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Yes. Multiple occasions. It's been a tough season for me.

4. DWB5

Lol... I hear u on that I work grave yard shift so I have to keep from going home to bed.

5. DWB5

20170401_080757.jpg
    Here is my favorite hunt this year!

6. stevena198301

I work nights some, when we are testing with guys across the pond. I always enjoy it (I used to work nights full-time). Always got a lot more "non-work" stuff done, including hunting.

7. stevena198301

My 11YO is still waiting on her first. We're gonna try it one more time this weekend.

8. DWB5

I really hope it works out for her. If I could give my daughter my 4 birds I would. I love to hear her scream and jump up and hug me! It really brings you back to when you was a kid and it meant more and was more exciting. Let me know if she kills her one. I would love to see pics.

9. DWB5

I know how it feels. Sometimes you cannot make a wrong decision sometimes you cannot make a right one!

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Opening day public land, in the flydown area and had a guy walk by with a headlamp in the gray light when they were gobbling. Opening Sunday on public had 2 separate groups of people walk through our setup towards gobbling birds, one of which drew down on my jake decoy.
    Second saturday of the season, birds started using some private I had access too during the week and there were 5 longs in the bunch. Buddy calls Friday night and says they're back. Well when they flew down in the morning it was a dozen hens and 4 jakes. The jakes came right in and my friend and his lady and mine all missed.
    Third Saturday, hunting an orchard down the street from my house in the pm had a hot one strutting in and a tractor towing a fertilizer spreader came around the corner.

Been birds in the orchard behind my house pretty regularly in the afternoons the last week or so. Tuesday had 2 toms and 7 hens at 80 yards for 2 hours. Yesterday got home early to try it again and they were tearing out dead trees so no birds around. Gonna try again today :grvn

DWB5 likes this.