Bad news at vet - lab needs knee surgery

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by CA Birdman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jabird

Jabird Senior Refuge Member

Man sorry to hear that Phil! Looks like your son has assumed the role of lead retriever this season.

I hope your pup heals up soon and surgery is a complete success.

callinfowl likes this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Very sorry to hear this sort of news.
    You will have plenty of time to work on her stay or place command while she is healing up at home.

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't worry too much, all my dogs have sat outside the blind for the last 35 years. They stand in the tules on the waters edge (and don't move), and in my experience it doesn't really affect the ducks. In fact my dogs usually watch the sky (sometimes better than me) and whine when they see ducks working.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

One thing for sure, won't be the same this year especially those days when just me in the blind. Now there will be no one to talk to.

5. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Your last statement is very true. When you are used to hunting with your dog it is no fun to go without. Hopefully there will be a speedy recovery and back better then new next year.

6. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery for your trusted hunting partner
    It made me laugh to see that I'm not alone when I I hear that you talk to your dog in the blind also when it's just us :yes
    As for the dog flaring ducks while laying on the blind .... well my dogs are always on top of the blind with me and I love to watch his eyes as he is picking birds up in the sky . By the way we have shot our fair share of ducks without flaring them

7. CA Birdman

I have shot lots of ducks with my lab close to or down the check from the blind. The key is for the dog not to move or break. My last lab covered my back side as I could tell by her look if she was looking at ducks and in the fog was really good as she heard the wings. My current pup who is now on the DL, was getting better at that.

CADUCKWHACKER likes this.
  8. WIGEONATOR

WIGEONATOR Elite Refuge Member

My dog bounced back pretty fast, 2 months and the doctor cleared him. I would think you would be able to take the dog out easily by the end of season. I hate to say this but once they do one side, there is a high percentage chance that eventually the other side will go. My dog had one side done when he was 4, when he was 8 he tore the other side. He was so old I never had the other side done. I hunted him one more year with anti inflamatories and then retired him, he got bone cancer and went over the rainbow bridge at 11.

9. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

The stat about both sides is true, but we can attempt to prevent this. Daily exercise/conditioning and daily doses of fish oil and glucosamine- chondroitin should be a part of any dogs post TPLO regiment. The less weight on a joint and the greater elasticity of the healthy joints can reduce the likelihood of injury to the other leg.

10. CA Birdman

Yes picked her up yesterday afternoon, only one of the two ligaments was torn. Restrictions were for 8 weeks, then reevaluate. She was already pulling pretty good on leash this morning and was putting some weight on it on walk to the grass. Going order the supplements. Then part of my analysis is thinking long term is it better to forgo the last month of season hunting her as in reality - she is going to need some time to rebuild her strength and get that side back to full strength so that she is comfortable using leg and does not blow out the other side. to me a 1 year recovery before she is tromping through mud seems the smarter option at this point.