Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Bad oldsquaw mount

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by kansasnuker, Nov 18, 2016.

1. kansasnuker

kansasnuker New Member

This thing really really angers me.. shot a hen oldsquaw in central kansas. Took it to a local taxidermist.... i got something back that isnt ok with me... yellow beak... should be black and grey... eyes are set horribly.. the head shape is super bad... crusty little feet. Does it really cost that much to inject them i mean come on. I even paid double and said to make the best mount youve ever done.

Attached Files:

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Ouch...that hurts

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Sorry to see such sub-par work. I don't think I would have accepted that bird. I would have requested a refund.

4. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

A little research will go a long way. If other waterfowl mounts produced by this taxidermist are "sub-par", then that's a really good indication of what you are going to get back. Paying additional money is not going to suddenly improve the quality of someone doing this level of work. There is only one reason mounts like this are still being produced and only one reason those producing such mounts are still in business......it's not difficult to understand.

Squaller likes this.
  5. kansasnuker

kansasnuker New Member

Yes i understand that... i actually did not get a chance to see his bird work when i brought it in... i saw his fur work and it was very good. I gave him the bird. Two days later i came back and paid the money... THEN i saw some of his bird work. It scared me to death. I actually did ask for my money back and he said he would not give me back my deposit... which happened to be 100% payment... alittle bit later i made a deal with him that he would take extra time on it for more money. This was the mount i half expected... but i had hope.

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Expensive lesson to learn. Take a look at Brads website. That's what you're looking for in a taxidermist. I use a few different bird taxidermists. I view it as an art collection. Brad is next on my list to send a bird to.

7. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

Same old story .......

creedsduckman likes this.
  8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Greeb-ish at best LOL

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Would you go to a poor surgeon and pay double for a "good" surgery?

I might not ask for all my money back, but if you paid double, I would certainly ask for half back. I might have said, "there is a bonus in it for you, if it turns out well." But I do not see where paying double right off the go gives him any incentive (as he already has the money).

As Brad stated... Look at the work that he has done previously. If he has a website, look at the photo gallery (just remember that the best work will be posted there).

10. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Find a good bird guy (or girl) and have him pull the skin, re-hydrate, and re-mount it. I know it won't be perfect, but it will be a whole heck of a lot better.