Bad SD news...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Waders, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

2. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Holy Hannah those birds took a hit.....one can only hope that hunter numbers will be down as well. Late season used to be lonely out there.

3. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately the state will spend a ton of money trying to convince people that everything is fine and you should come and spend money here. They will acknowledge numbers are down but spin it so that it seems like it isnt so bad. The numbers were bad last year and even worse now. Im gonna give them a break.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am not from SD, but according to the figures in the article, last year was a banner production year for pheasants...

Yet, I remember hearing on the forum, that the pheasant hunting was not so good???:confused: You think the pheasant numbers were down (meaning the article was incorrect or counts were off), or were the pheasant hunters up???

5. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

I am going in Nov. regardless. A bad year in S.D. sure beats the hell out of anything we have here, which is NO WILD PHEASANTS!

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

We were in Winner last year - if the bird numbers are down 15% there will still be more birds than you can shake a stick at.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I don't wanna shake a stick at em', I wanna SHOOT em'.:D

One thing I have figured out about upland game, is that the populations can fluctuate wildly from year to year. With valley quail, I think the changes can be even more drastic.

We have pretty much seen the demise of wild pheasants in California for a number of reasons. So far the valley quail have not been affected to such a degree cause many of the birds live in non-ag areas, but we are seeing less quail in the ag areas now as well.

Witht the right conservation programs and incentives, we could easily see pheasant populations come back in CA, but I doubt that will ever happen, especially with the water issues that we are currently facing.:cry

SD is on my Bucket List for sure... Hope your season is better than the paper says it will be..

8. MRhodes

MRhodes Senior Refuge Member

:amen Nothing wrong with having to work for them a little bit. Keep in mind "down" is relative - they have had banner numbers for the past few years.

I will be there Nov. 1 - 6 for waterfowl & pheasants.