Baking Soda

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Mar 9, 2014.

1. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

Been home 10 days so .... I found a package of Scaup and Cans. Cut them as described and did the soda slurry. I might have done it 20 or 25 minutes as I (like an idiot) noted the time but didn't actually note it so lost tract. Anyway, after the rinse I coated in flour/salt and pepper as I normally do when pan frying duck or goose.

Fried in a combination of butter and olive oil until brown and from med rare to med. Took most of the meat out and put on paper towels to drain excess oil and added some bottled sweet and sour to the rest in the pan to try that approach.

My wife really likes fried duck as I do and we both thought that it had lost to much texture and flavor. She didn't try the sauced meat but I did and I wasn't impressed with the result.

So I failed at my first try with this method.

N NV Ducker..if I did the soak to long am I correct in assuming that it probably broke down the meat fibre to much? ...and maybe took way to much of the natural duck flavor out of the meat? My wife thought that some was actually mushy while I didn't find any that way.

I'll probably try this again and pay attention to the soak time and use corn flour and corn meal instead of wheat flour to see if I like it better. My wife doesn't like the corn end of it when I do it that way so I have to do two batches if I do the corn stuff.

While we like the duck (and goose) just cut up and fried with out the soak I do have people that think it's tough and strong so I was hoping to find a way to prepare it for those folks.

Your thoughts on my attemp would be appreciated

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, I am no expert, just saw the method on TV.

From my experience, about 8 meals now, with a variety of meats, I have stuck very close to the 15 minutes. I set a timer. I did one pork meal where I didn't get up right away, so it went for maybe 20. Looking back, it did seem softer.

I haven't used other tenderizers, just marinades. There has to be a reason they set the time at 15 minutes. I would say it is a very aggressive tenderizer. I have zero complaints on any of the meals I have done. I would say, give it one more try, and set a timer, then rinse promptly.

As to the taste, did you rinse it REALLY well. I rinse in a colander, drop it back in clean water, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat, mixing with my hands each time. I do this because I use vinegar and corn starch to coat the meat before frying, and if I don't get it ALL off, it will bubble and fizz. I made that mistake once. It could be, residual soda takes away from the taste.

Just a guess. We have not noticed a decrease in the taste, but I usually use some type of sauce anyway. Where I love the taste of duck, and love a chicken fried breast cooked rare, the wife is less so.

I have been using a couple tablespoons oyster sauce, a dash or two of fish sauce, a dash or two of sesame oil, and a dash of soy sauce. It gives a really meaty, dense flavor. You only need a little, as you can see, or it gets too salty. Those amounts are enough for a meal for two, but does not overpower the basic taste of the meat.

3. NWRINGNECK

Thanks again. I will time the soak and do a much more thorough job of the rinse next time Probably try your sauce also.

So I'll do the soak, rinse, coating and fry like you set out in your first post. After the fry you add the sauce and heat for a short time before serving..correct?

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I end up starting with about 3 tablespoons of sauce. It does not sound like a lot, but it goes a long way. Whatever veggies I am using (mostly I have done Asian style cooking) like onions/mushrooms/celery, etc, after cooking them to my liking, I put in one spoon of sauce. Swish around, then take off the heat and put in a bowl. I then get the heat back up, and cook my meat. When it is browned to my liking, I pour the last of the sauce over it, swish a couple of times, add in the veggies, swirl in the pan, and serve.

5. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for this Native. Tried it tonight with some chicken and it was damn good. Only problem I had was some of the coating sticking to the pan. Took a while to find a sweet spot for temp and oil amounts.

:reader :grvn

6. NWRINGNECK

Just did my spring freezer cleanup and no wild game left. :( Thought I had some but it's been eaten up so maybe next year.