Ball Head vs Pan/Tilt Head on Tripod

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by CamoHunter870, Jun 26, 2016.

1. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Dec 11, 2000
    West Central Iowa
    Looking to upgrade my tripod along with the head this summer and wanting to get some input on positives/negatives of a ball head vs a pan/tilt head.

I mainly use my tripod for landscape & astrophotography with a D750 + lenses so wondering which type of head would be more sturdy along with ease of use?

I currently use a pan/tilt head on a Slik tripod but have a ball head on joby gorillapod. The Slik is what I use for landscape/astro while the joby is used in hunting. My main concern would be can a ball head be sturdy enough for long exposures.

Looking to upgrade to a Manfrotto system in the $250-400 range for tripod & head.
  2. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Jul 4, 2001
    I have a Wimberly head that I Love, but they are $$$. I use the Wimberly on my big lenses down to my mid size lenses. One day,While browsing through Amazon, I came across a Movo that is all but identical to the Wimberly. I thought What they hey, I'll order one to use as a back-up. The head arrived and it is made of the same material as the Wimberly and is also just as smoooth and easy to use. This Movo head is just.....drum roll.......$99.99