Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Baltimore Gun Club

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by dukhawk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

A random question: I have an old, single shot 2 or 4 gauge breechloader shotgun with a brass grip, and inscribed Baltimore Gun Club. Does anybody know the history that might attach to this? No manufacturer indicated. FWIW 42" barrel and definitely a shoulder arm, not anything like the size of a punt gun. If a anybody has insight I'd love to hear. Googling "Baltimore Gun Club" is, to put it mildly, unproductive- thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Photos, photos, we want photos .
    Sounds like a cool shotgun. Did you look under the forearm? There might be some marks hidden under there.

3. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

dukhawk,

Pictures would be wonderful, if its percussion hammer gun, might date late 1800's - early 1900's if not earlier, look on the lock where the hammer is for makers mark or a "crown" and on top of the barrel for English proof marks. The reason why, usually "market guns" were made with a combo of American and English parts. Most of the larger bore shotguns of that period were 8 ga bores, the larger were English fowling pieces. Now many of the 1800's gun clubs like the many around Duck, N.C. ordered shotguns with the club name inscribed on the barrels. Some Parker's and Winchester have been found with duck club names engraved on the barrels or frames. You have a piece of history in your hands so do NOT clean it up ..............................

4. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Question. How could it be a breech loader and percussion? Do you mean a hammer gun? Also, never heard of 2-4 bore loaded shotgun ammo.

5. Mayor of Seneca

Rabbit Ear black powder hammer gun ? They did produce brass cases for 8 ga, think the Brits also did 6 ga bore, but 2 or 4 ga need to see pictures to determine true bore diameter

6. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

[/ATTACH] IMG_3963.JPG IMG_3964.JPG IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3966.JPG IMG_3967.JPG Thanks for all the comments. This gun was part of a rather extensive collection originally owned by my grandfather, who died in 1952. Heaven only knows where he got it. Attached are a few pics; the side by side shown muzzle- on for comparison is a 12 gauge. I am somewhat familiar with gun markings eg the crown (on a Brown Bess, for example) and am almost sure it's of American origin, but am guessing at the gauge. My guess, also is that the mfgr date is NLT 1880's based on the firing mechanism and of course the size- at least pre 1918, but until the Mayor's suggestion never thought to take it apart- you have to knock a pin out and I need to do this carefully so the wood isn't scarred. we'll see.

murdock255 likes this.
  7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Wow, what a cool gunning piece. The bore looks like a coffee can next to the 12 gauge! Should you post this on the Shooting Forum to open it up to more gun guys?

8. Mayor of Seneca

Yep, a under lever hinge pin, black powder, the under lever and side plate has British orgins, slide the lever to the right, open it up, look on the inside bottom called the barrel flats for any stampings. The side plates being engraved tells me its a "graded" gun, not a back room blacksmith creation plus the etching Baltimore Gun Club. I back up the date between 1875 - 1893. All the metal work around the pistol area repair, A heavy repair, a lot brass and screws holding the stock to the frame. You have some real history handed down to you from your grandfather, now the journey begins ..................

9. Mayor of Seneca

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  10. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Steve, I am impressed with your detective work!