Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Baltimore Gun Club

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by dukhawk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0939.PNG

2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

BWANA1,

Also another lot 1744 but no auction pricing, found a range of Horsley shotguns and big bore single barrel and double rifles from 1870's thru 1890's, auction pricing ranged from $1400 up to $70,000 for a high grade double hammer 12 bore that would rival AAHE Parker. Reviewing the side plate scroll engraving the Baltimore appears to be engraved and not "rolled stamped" by a dye set. The lettering matches the light scroll engraving leads me to believe this fowling piece was ordered from York, England with that inscription. This only gets better .......................

Bwana1 likes this.
  3. Mayor of Seneca

English makers kept detailed production records, while nearly a 150 years ago, searching who might have Horsley factory records, the serial # should be on the Water table. The op could send pictures and serial # to England for production data and who ordered and/or where gun was shipped. I've known this has been done with Parker Guns plus other English and American double gun makers from the late 1800's with successful outcome. This 4 bore is worth the journey ........

Also interesting facts:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/features/bringing-our-big-guns-home-6126

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...y-underlever-hammergun-t-5967420-details.aspx

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94716&page=1

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19808&page=1

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

I am humbled, grateful and impressed with the detail of research and insight, thanks guys. Also regretful i didn't look into this ages ago. The full collection is/was.....well a long story but largely gone. Dad got most of the military stuff when he and his brother divided it and his brother got more sporting arms (when he died the estate sold a double flintlock fowling piece that i would have killed to have gotten my hands on). I've had this 4 bore on my gunroom wall for about 20 years and never thought to research. Will print this and show to dad, who's now 89, he'll get a big kick out of it. Also see if i can find the serial no, stay tuned.

My best HW

gone goosin likes this.
  5. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

6. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

Every now and then there is a thread that makes it worth coming around here. This is a good example!

Cool gun! 4" cartridges, sounds like fun!

Keith McGowan, Bwana1 and gone goosin like this.
  7. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

Ok, I have a question- good point- on the " cartridge: At what do you shoot a 4 bore 42" barreled behemoth like this? singles? hardly worth the trouble. Flocks? birds on the water? I wouldn't bet the cost of a 4 bore shell that this smokepole was very handy swinging on pass shots. Perhaps in the days where there was no limit and no season the 'sportsmen' didn't have qualms about lining up heads

8. Mayor of Seneca

The barrels are Damascus twist for black powder only; even if you obtained 4 bore brass its not safe to shoot in my opinion. I would guess the 4 bore was used as a market gun from the bow of a boat like most punt guns of that era.

I would follow up on the my prior links if any factory records exist and if so, if a "letter" can be obtained, would frame the letter along side the 4 bore.

9. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Baltimore Gun Club might be a English gun club, as Baltimore is an area in England. Lord Baltimore( Lord of Baltimore) was who the American city was named after. Punting for waterfowl was and still is a common way of taking waterfowl in England.

10. jbennett

jbennett New Member