Baltimore officer shot by uniformed police

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by joe117, Apr 24, 2008.

1. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

An off-duty Baltimore officer shot by uniformed police during a fight outside a bar has died in a Baltimore hospital.
    CBS station WJZ-TV reported Officer Norman Stamp, 65, was a 44-year veteran of the police department.

According to Bealefeld, the officers were trying to arrest the combatants when Stamp emerged from the bar armed with brass knuckles. Bealefeld says Stamp did not respond to an officer's order to stop. The officer fired a Taser, sending Stamp to the ground. Stamp drew a handgun, and Bealefeld says the officer had "no recourse" but to fire two shots from his own handgun.

http://kdka.com/national/baltimore.police.officer.2.707328.html

I just saw the police commissioner on TV giving a press conference on this shooting. The media seems to have the story correct.

Seems like this was one tough old cop. If he would draw a gun on uniformed cops, I wonder what he would do to a civilian who got in his way?

2. rahma

rahma Senior Refuge Member

What does that have to do with this story?

I would have done the same thing in that situation. I am assuming that Stamp was most likely intoxicated or for whatever reason, went off the deep end.

This has nothing to do with him being a cop. It has everything to do with his being jacked up mentally.

3. Flyby

Flyby Elite Refuge Member

4. Flyby

5. Flyby

6. joe117

What does that have to do with this story?

I assume that he was drunk. I heard on tv news that he was celebrating some kind of award that he had been given that day.

I don’t think being drunk is going to make a 65 year old cop who has been on the force 44 years do things like get into a fight with brass knuckles take a taser hit and pull a gun on a uniformed cop.

Being drunk might make him do those things at an inappropriate time, but I just find it hard to believe that what he did was totally out of character.

And I know you won’t like this…… But he seems to fit the stereotype of the old school city cop who drinks hard and doesn’t take any crap from anyone….

And this time he picked the wrong guy to draw down on.

7. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Give it a break... what a tool. :rolleyes:

8. joe117

I think he's tired of your spam posts Fly.

9. rahma

:fp :fp My guess is that was directed to Joe.

10. rahma

Alcohol effects people differently. That is why some people are happy drunks and some are violent drunks. I have dealt with both. I have tangled with many violent drunks and they come in all shapes, sizes and age.

I tell you my viewpoint from experience. You can say what you want and throw your opinion out there, but it does not compare to personal experience.