Banded Duck Stories

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Ducksergeantorg, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have any good stories about getting a Banded Duck or Goose and finding out it traveled like hundreds of miles. Maybe like banded in Alaska killed in Southern California?
    I have never got one yet

2. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

I have a wigeon and a cackler from Alaska and a bluebill from BC. All the rest were banded here in WA. A lot of Eastern WA guys shoot mallards from Peace River, AB, but I haven't connected on any of those yet.

3. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

I like this thread, hopefully people chime in.

I'll add a story.
    It was opening day and we were hunting the mud flats on Skagit bay. There was an early push of snows down so we set up on the marsh with rags and had a really good shoot. The last bird of the day was a hail mary shot and my brother hit it and it sailed wayyyyyy out in the flats. It always seemed that opening day the tide always sucked but we could see this white speck about 500 yards away but it was across the slough. I decided i would go get our little row boat and go track the bird down since it would of completed our limit for the day. About a half hour into getting the boat and rowing down a little slough i finally got it and to my surprise it was banded. It had one pellet hole that it in the heart and it just bled out. The snow was banded in Russia like most of the snows were but it was at least 18 years old and was shot over 100 rags. You know that bird had put on some miles over the years and has seen every spread and to survive the glory days of the ground pounding on Fir Island.

I have shot a teal that was banded in Bethel Alaska and I shot it in WA, that little bugger flew a long ways.

4. Ducksergeantorg

That's what Im talking about Russia,!!! that's really cool, did it have numbers on the band that traced it to Russia, how did you figure that out? Just wondering

5. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

It was an Avise bird band, though i have seen an actual Russian bird band that a buddy shot on a snow. I can try to find the certificate.

6. Ducksergeantorg

Oh yeah, Avise Bird Band, different languages, so cool. Your a lucky ducky, honkerclan

7. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

GW teal drake from Alaska taken in E WA and a Mallard Drake from NW Territories taken in E WA.

8. Ducksergeantorg

So cool how they migrate, Thanks.
    Wonder if someone has bagged one like in Central America, or a bird tagged on East coast then found in the like the Midwest.
    My brother shot a Mallard Drake in Iowa years ago, but tagged in Illinois.

9. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

When did you get it? I know a guy who got a GWT that was banded in Bethel this August last month.

10. full choke

full choke Senior Refuge Member

Most all of mine have been from Alaska, but a few from elsewhere- none from WA. The two furthest were a Lesser Canada banded just north of Kotzebue AK, and a drake mallard banded in the McKenzie river Delta NWT near Inuvik.
    I shot a banded hen mallard once. When I gutted her, a wine cork sized wax covered thing popped out. Found out she was part of a study and was banded and radio tracked from Horicon Marsh in Wisconsin.
    Last year I shot a drake mallard that was banded two years before in Cataldo ID. That duck had rice breast.