Banded Duck Stories

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Ducksergeantorg, Dec 19, 2017.

1. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

About a decade ago I got a banded sprig here in the Sacramento valley that was banded just outside of Tokyo, Japan. Band was written in Japanese but I was able to track down an email address and reported it.

sully and Wareagle1 like this.
  2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I shot a Mallard drake in 2013. So, he was at least 8.5 years old.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/DocandCasey/BLING-1-5-13.jpg

Info :
    Date Banded 08/11/2005
    Species MALLARD
    Age HATCHED IN 2004 OR EARLIER
    Sex MALE
    Location 7 E OF MIRROR, ALBERTA, CANADA
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When we cleaned this bird, we found two pellets that had been in him quite awhile.
    They were well encapsulated with scar tissue.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I've shot ducks banded in the Northwest Territories, Cardinal Lake AB, Peace River AB, Utah and North Idaho. All shot in North Idaho. I am still looking for my first banded goose.

Shot a banded gadwall this year during the Southern Oregon opener outside of Klamath Falls, banded in Western WA.

4. birdhunter007

birdhunter007 Elite Refuge Member

8 bands in 30+ years hunting... not counting the one my wife threw away... Long story but we are still married.
    Most memorable:

****Two mallard drake bands on the same trip.1998

****Christmas Day 1998 ...Went out early afternoon. Limit on 7 greenheads in about 45 minutes including a banded bird.
    ****Christmas Day 2003 Banded mallard hen
    I guess 1998 and Christmas has been good to me...

****Hunting with buddy. We are taking turns on singles coming in. He shoots a double on mallards, so I am next up... Single wooduck drake comes into the dekes. Trophy bird for me ... BANDED!

****Mallard drake 12/99... band is so worn it's almost unreadable. Bird was banded over 5 years earlier in Utah.

I still enjoy finding that a bird I shot was banded. Had a dry spell for several years. My last one was on Thanksgiving morning just last year.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  5. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Senior Refuge Member

First band was my first year duck huntin on the last day of the youth season in California in 1999 banded GWT from Alaskan Aleutian chain.
    Banded wood duck a couple years later as I was taking a leak outside the blind in CA, Banded near Little Dry Creek Refuge in CA
    Banded Ross's Goose in Ca, banded in Canada
    Banded Snow in CA, Banded in Canada
    Banded Canada Goose in Ca, Banded about an hour an a half from where I was huntin. Fairfield, Ca

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Jack Miner used to mark there bands with a 2 digit year and an alphabetical letter for the date the bird was banded. Shot a mallard on a farm with a Jack Miner band, shot another mallard with a Jack Miner band on the same date 1 year later. Both had the same indentifying year and letter.

7. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

I started this thread not knowing I would get so much enjoyment reading everyone's post. I am hoping it's not done yet with Waterfowl season still on. Makes a person want to get out an enjoy another sunrise in the blind and not knowing what a person may find.
    Thanks to all you guys!!!
    Years ago I was hunting with my Dad in Iowa. We had some Mallards swing the decoys. To my surprise a Drake had about 2 1/2 feet of corn stalk stuck to it's feet, looked like an airplane pulling a advertisement banner.

8. Ducksergeantorg

Duck band from Japan to California, that takes the Cake right there, crazy. Amazing how birds travel. I've seen birds floating on ice in the Missouri River, taking a free ride south I reckon.

9. MDB

MDB New Member

3 years ago I shot a BWT hen on the opener in Paterson that was banded that Sept in Emmonak, AK- Yukon River Delta.

10. Ducksergeantorg

Nice one!