Banded Duck Stories

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Ducksergeantorg, Dec 19, 2017.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I have a handful of gagball and a wigeon band from Summer Lake that were shot in the Sac Valley. Longest travelers were a ross I shot on Sunday that was banded in Nunavut, and my first band was a drake pintail from Saskatchewan, shot on the Salton Sea.

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Son got ross banded in Nunavut shot in Colusa, CA that was banded in 1998 shot in 2015 and was at least year old when banded. Shot Ross Saturday in Colusa, CA banded on North Slope Alaska that was banded 20087 and at least a year old. Best duck was pintail shot in Galt, CA that was banded in Sask. that was 12 years old.

3. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I've gotten lots of local bands and bands from throughout Washington, along with bands from: Alberta, British Columbia, Nunavut/Northwest Territories, Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and California. Most memorable?

-A couple of mallard bands off of birds that had been banded in the Sacramento/San Francisco areas that reverse migrated north to Washington in the fall (banded in August, shot about two months later up in WA).

-My first ever goose as a kid was a small Canada goose that I shot out of a flock that was banded on the north coast of Alaska, up not far from Prudhoe Bay. Haven't gotten a goose band since!

-Went back to back on banded birds twice. Once when I was about 19, I was pass shooting flocks of mallards in a snowstorm. Knocked a drake out of one flock into the snow. Banded. Next flock about 5 minutes later, another drake mallard fell in the snow. Also banded! Another time I ended one season with a banded bird, and started the next with another one. Back-to-back banded ducks with an eight month delay in between.

I really like the stories that bands tell. It's always fun to get one. I'd love to get a band on some different waterfowl species. My 55 bands are all from just three species: Mallards (46), Woodducks (8), Canada Goose (1). I'd be especially thrilled to someday get a banded teal or pintail! :pra:yes

Spencer5100 likes this.
  4. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

That's alot of band's, nice job!!!

5. boatdriver

boatdriver Senior Refuge Member

You northern folks kill all the bands before they get a chance to make it down here!!! I hunt in way south LA, roughly 18 miles form the Gulf of Mexico..... Thus far 10 bands:

Mallard drake- from Michigan
    Gray drake- South Dakota
    Green-winged teal- Michigan
    Blue wing- Saskatchewan
    Speck- Nunavut
    (2) mottled duck- local
    Pintail drake- South Dakota
    (2) Black bellied whistlers- local, they live in our marsh now. We actually killed 5 last year on the lease.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Wareagle1 likes this.
  6. Greg Neyman

Greg Neyman New Member

I have 2 different bands from the Northwest Territories and my buddy got one the other day from theor as well!

7. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Got a few shot a speck that was banded in 96 Nunavut shot in Arkansas in 06 a mallard banded in 2000 around Ontario and shot in Alabama in 2014 a wood duck banded in 2005 shot in Alabama in 2009 hoping to snag a few more have had three others shot in groups that I let other people have not really sure who shot them

8. prosserlabs

prosserlabs Senior Refuge Member

Some of you have read this story before, but I will tell it again. Last winter my son Robert and I were hunting our own pond and shot 3 bands in one afternoon. He shot back to back hens. One of the hens was banded in Mabton, 12 miles away, and 1 banded in Porthill Idaho. I shot a banded drake that was banded in Othello Washington. They were retrieved by his dog Cooper which was raised out of my dogs. The only mounts I have ever had done are pictured below.

mallard mounts.jpg

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  9. Smalma

Smalma Senior Refuge Member

There might be some band magic in Prosserlab's dogs. My female pup (Cassie) which is also out of Prosserlab's dogs very first waterfowl retrieve was a banded snow goose. The pup was only about 6 and 1/2 months old at the time while at first a little confused on how to get hold of the bird brought the bird to me and released to hand on command like a champ!

Curt

prosserlabs and Green Duck Truck like this.
  10. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Shot sequentially numbered bands on honkers.....10 years apart.

Pastor and Wareagle1 like this.