Banded Duck Stories

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Ducksergeantorg, Dec 19, 2017.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

:bow:bow:bow

2. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Once again I have to say this thread I started is incredible. So many replies, you fortunate enough to have shot banded birds, Thanks
    One fine day I will get a banded bird and jump for joy.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

3. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Go on eBay like all the young boys are doing and you can buy a pile of them even better if you use daddy’s money lol still can’t understand why they act like that lol

Mitchel Weaver likes this.
  4. Killducks.com

Killducks.com Refuge Member

Killed a Miner band on Christmas Eve 2009. My farthest travel band was Saskatchewan and my oldest was a mallard 12 years old followed by an 8 year old black duck

GK1 likes this.
  5. W&W

W&W New Member

I shot a banded lesser Canada in the SC lowcountry that a buddy called in from a group of 3 flying in a different zip code. Banded as a gosling too young to fly in Quebec. They were

6. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Great thread and fun to hear some stories. Also funny which bands you remember and which ones you don't. My first band was on a green head I jumped off a ditch off the Winchester wasteway when I was in high school. I can still see that duck in the ditch before it lifted off. The more memorable bands are those that I could have had and those that I have shot out from under others. Most memorable was on a goose hunting trip one time and were hunting a field with 2 goose sets. A lone goose flew around and just out of range and landed between the two spreads. Something didn't register as right when it flew by but didn't think much of it. I had someone with me who hadn't shot many geese and I told him to just walk over to the goose like you are a farmer and you should get a good shot. He walked to within 10 yds and the goose had a nice neck collar on it. Also had a nice shot one day in the blind and had my buddy shoot the gadwall as we were shooting lots of mallards that day so why waste a shell on a gadwall :l. What do you know a banded gadwall. Otherwise always fun when you have a buddy who empties their gun on a single and then you shoot it and it has a band. Best one was hunting geese on the coast one time and had geese working and thought for sure I saw neck collars. Birds were working nice that day and was able to pick out 3 neck collars and one had a transmitter on it. The transmitter had a number on it that looked familiar and as it turned out it was my buddies phone number that works for fish and game. One of the best ones was hunting with a friend in North Dakota and he was walking out to pick up a crippled goose and on the way back he saw a dead duck laying breast down. It was not one that we had shot but just out in the middle of this field. As he picked it up he thought I wonder if it has a band. After 35 years of hunting the first band he has ever retrieved. Also have an epic band story that I will add when I can post the appropriate pictures.

GK1 likes this.
  7. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Wonder if there's a duck band at the end of the rainbow? IMG_20171117_085517.jpg

8. Timberrunner205

Timberrunner205 New Member

ive killed 13 banded birds. all of them but 3 have been banded by the same guy all throughout the northern states. I also killed a double banded blue wing teal that was banded once by said guy in canada and then 7 days later in pa. I killed it that year in louisiana

9. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the permit holder has a lot of people banding under his permit.

10. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

Had a guy tell me wasn’t worth having 3 1/2 “ shells killed a honker after he whiffed 3 times double banded 4years later almost to the date another double band 2 numbers apart this one killed 350 miles north of the first but 70 miles from where they both were banded

Over The Decoys likes this.