Banded Duck Stories

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Ducksergeantorg, Dec 19, 2017.

1. johnliester

johnliester Senior Refuge Member

A Ross' from NWT, 11 years old. 2 snows, both from Ikpikpuk river delta, 13 and 16 years old. Several canada goose bands from mostly local areas, the oldest being 17. Most are 2-3 year old birds. In 45 years of waterfowl hunting, I have never shot a banded duck.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Wow! In 22 years of hunting I have shot 7 banded ducks but not one banded goose. And we shoot a lot of geese up here.

3. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Senior Refuge Member

I shot my first band at 14, came back to the blind with it all pumped up, and my old man said, last I checked you can't eat them...
    Realized while they are cool for tracking migration patterns of waterfowl and aiding in biology, I don't hold them in high esteem over the actual waterfowl themselves. I do find the science interesting and like to see where they came from and where they ended but the band itself goes in a drawer.

4. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Sure is fascinating how they migrate. Yes it is about the birds and a nice meal.

5. widgeon10

widgeon10 Senior Refuge Member

been lucky with bands although few years now since i got 1. shot pintail drake in 2001 that was banded in 1984 in alaska. shot a sandhill crane in sask. that was banded in nebraska with a transmitter on its leg. shot a ross goose in sask. that was banded 3 weeks earlier in nunavat with a band about 1500 mile trip. another ross with 50.00 money band. speck banded in maine shot in winnie texas. and many others

6. Ducksergeantorg

Wow, banded in Maine, shot in Texas. That's wild..

7. Duck_Hunter_88

Duck_Hunter_88 New Member

I have a few bands, but the only memorable story I can think of was a couple of years ago. I was on a several year band drought and a flock came in and I shot 2 drake mallards and both were banded. I thought they were probably banded together as a family but one was banded in Idaho and the other Alaska, in the same year. I thought the odds of 2 banded ducks coming together from 2 families were pretty low.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. Ducksergeantorg

You may need a Lotto Ticket, that's a good one!!