Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Banded Snow Report

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Duck_Bull, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Duck_Bull

Duck_Bull Sponsor

We harvested a Banded Snow Goose last week, here are the details.

Hatched in 2002, banded 8/17/02 35 miles SSW of HANTZSCH RIV NT. Bander lives in Winnipeg Manitoba.

The Hantzsch River is above the Hudson Bay so this guy came a long way to El Campo, Texas.

2. Snowman81

Snowman81 New Member

Congratulations Duck_Bull. About how many bands do you see in the El Campo area on a yearly basis. Just wondering

3. KatyTxGooseHunter

KatyTxGooseHunter New Member

Good job Duck_Bull.

Me and my buddies have hunted the El Campo and Eagle Lake areas hard over the years and never have seen a banded Snow, just one Canadian. But saying that I must say a friend of mine (who never goose hunts) shot his first goose, a snow, while duck hunting and guess what...banded. Go figure.

4. CajunDan

CajunDan Elite Refuge Member

Watched my Uncle shoot a pink snow several years ago. bands on both legs, neck band, and painted pink. Freaked me out to see that thing flyin'. I thought he was shooting a pink flamingo at first.

5. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

A pink snow, I have heard of them being a slight shade pink from feeding in the salt marshes. Do you think this is the case. Here on the mississippi flyway when canvasbacks were at a all time low they USGS painted there bellies to keep them from getting shot, but snow geese?

6. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

Used to be a common practice of the NWR's down here to paint snow geese pink and yellow!!:eek:

Anauhac NWR really had a large number of the painted snows.

7. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

The practice of painting divers and snows were not to keep the birds from being shot but to follow them easier on the migration. I never personally saw one but I know of several hunters that saw orange bluebills. You knew full well that if you shot one you were going to have some jewelry.

8. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

that would kinda freak me out if i saw an orange bluebill

9. Snowman81

Snowman81 New Member

I've hunted Katy, Sealy, and Eagle Lake areas in Texas for about 10 years now and have seen three banded snows and two banded specks shot on different hunts over the years. I've only seen one neck collar and that was on a speck.

10. peakebrook

peakebrook Refuge Member

Shot a juvenile snow this fall in SE Saskatchewan that had been banded this July 50 SE of Churchill, MB. That was the only band we got and we didn't see any collars.

I believe they stopped painting the birds when they started using satelite tracking.