Banded vs drake breathable waders

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by skimerhorn, Sep 6, 2017.

1. tdh17

tdh17 Senior Refuge Member

I have both. Insulated banded and uninsulated drake. All waders have issues with leaking, brand don't matter.

The crotch comes up higher on the drakes. The banded are more normal. If you are tall, id go drake, more normal, id go banded.

Drake does have cooler pockets, however.

2. bigrick_2u

bigrick_2u New Member

I don't know anything about these waders, but I know Drake stuff is always quality stuff and banded stuff always seems cheap. Good luck.

3. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

As a retiree I can't afford either of them

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I think the majority of posters here would disagree with that. Myself included.

5. tdh17

What brand would you say has quality stuff?

I'm not saying drake is really good. But it seems to me it's all made in China, the more expensive stuff just seems to have more stiches and pockets...

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Drake stuff is great, in concept. I have several Drake items. None are waterproof, as advertised. Zippers are a problem.
    I got a Sitka jacket this year. Quality stuff, but you pay for it. My go-to jacket is still a 20 year old Cabelas gortex quad. However, you can't compare 20 year old quality to today's stuff.

Right now, Drake has the same customer complaints that GHG had the year after they came out with Hot Buys. Looked great in the box, not so much in the field. My snippy point posted above is simply that you can't make a blanket statement that "Drake stuff is always quality stuff". It isn't. 'Some' of their stuff might be fine. Some certainly isn't.

They DO have a great advertising department. I give em that.

7. tdh17

I haven't tried any of the Sitka stuff, is it really worth the money?

8. Native NV Ducker

Depends on how much money you have, and what value you put on comfort. As a younger man, not making much money, the answer was no. Now, being retired, and having the money, yes. (But I also waited for a sale)

9. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I have zero Sitka waterfowl gear, but do have one "outfit"(pants/jacket) I use big game hunting.
    I live where 90" of rain is normal, last year we received 120". I don't get wet, period. 4 different 10 day deer hunts on Kodiak in Nov. I don't get wet.
    Quiet and comfortable as well.

Back to waders, I just brushed on a product called "through the roof" over my cabelas breathables that are 1 season old. If I get wet(again) next time I wear them, I'm buying a set of Banded breathables.
    Between ducks, salmon and steelhead I'm in a set of waders at least 100 days a year. I'd give my left testicle to find a pair that actually last.
    Paying a couple hundred dollars and being content that they last a couple seasons is unacceptable.
    I'm on season 19 of my Filson wax duck coat. It may need replaced within 5 years.

10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

4 different 10 day deer hunts on Kodiak in Nov.
    [/QUOTE]

How long are your months?o_O