Bands from Guided hunt???

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BAYDOG, Mar 8, 2018.

who gets the band?

1. Hunter paying the guide

114 vote(s)
    98.3%
  2. Guide offering the hunt

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Elite Refuge Member

We do not get many banded birds where I live and do most of my hunting. In the 29 years that I have lived and hunted in Colorado I have shot four banded Mallards in Colorado and one banded Snow Goose in Saskatchewan. If someone around where I live has 25+ bands on their lanyard they spent some money on Ebay. The guide keeping bands is just bad business. You would think that if a band is shot they could create some goodwill and return customers by letting the client keep the band, but what do I know?

double limit likes this.
  2. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

That sucks. People just can't have nice things, I guess :l

3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I’ve helped to band over 17,000 geese.

Some of the banded geese I’ve shot, I helped to band. Many I’ve shot were killed less than a mile from the banding site and some only 500 feet from where they were banded. Some were shot three months later and one nine years later. I was ecstatic to shoot these geese, knowing these are local birds being killed and thus the DNR won’t euthanize them. Meaning If you don’t shoot the local banded geese they get euthanized. They euthanized over 100 geese in one spot one year because no geese from that particular city were ever shot.

BTW, the Client gets the band. I was on a guided hunt and shot a banded eider. The guide was extremely happy for me.

dvegas, double limit and pud123 like this.
  4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

If a guide took my band his tip would not happen.

double limit and Wareagle1 like this.
  5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Million dollar question, who voted the guide should get it?

double limit likes this.
  6. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can respect what you do, but not what you posted in the first paragraph. I guess if the guide was up front, before any deposits were made, then it would be up to the hunter paying for the hunt if he wanted to continue with the hunt, but why keep what you (they) know you didnt deserve ?

I've read on this forum and others where a guy says something like "Well, MY dog retrieved it, so he gets it", "Its MY spot/land, so I get the band", "It was my idea to go, so its my band" and so on.
    Ok, maybe it WAS your spot, but it was MY idea to go, or it was MY gas or boat or truck that got us there or you used MY shells to shoot the duck and so on. What grown men will do over a piece of aluminum amazes me.

If someone doesnt want their band, great.....but otherwise, he who shot it gets the claim on it.

I've helped band a number of wood ducks. One of the first ones I banded came back to the same area 14 months later and was shot by a guy I know. He offered me the band. As neat as the idea and the thoughtfulness was, I declined.

Archangel410 likes this.
  7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

First one was a gaddie (12/1975) hatched and banded by an individual living outside Chicago from eggs given to him by the Illinois wildlife people and taken on Mud Creek (Guntersville reservoir) in north Alabama. First Canada goose had a Jack Miner band. Another was off a 11YO mallard. Three (3) bands in six (6) days with the last a reward band. Maybe ~11 all total. Not the metal but the memories of those hunts that stand out and remain in the cerebral archives.

pud123, Vammy and stevena198301 like this.
  8. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Shooter gets it. If multiple people shoot then draw cards.

Guide gets the money, not the bands, unless they shot it and you are fine with letting them shoot.

I have given away a few over the years when I was acting as the guide, taking out youngsters. Granted these were local birds so bands were going to be local also, but I figured if the band made a kid more excited and willing to research the bird they shot - that was a win win.

Archangel410 and JP like this.
  9. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

I went on a guided sea duck hunt in AK in the 90's. I was alone with the guide as he was taking me to a location to hunt, and we started talking bands. He could name every band from that season, and the very specific details about the bandings (and there were a lot of them, mostly Barrows Goldeneyes). In other words, He pried them off and kept them. I am absolutely convinced this guide, who is still guiding, keeps all bands shot by his clients; the clients never knew. In this environment you shoot the birds, the guide in the skiff scoops the birds, and then moves away from the hunters and decoys so they can continue their hunt; you do not even see your birds until you move locations; plenty of time to take the bands. Just a shame in my opinion. You pay for the hunt, you aim the gun, and you pull the trigger. Any band on a hunt like this is only going to enhance the memories and experience. The guide should be proud to present the banded bird to his client.

Archangel410, gadwall52, JP and 3 others like this.
  10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

In my whole life I’ve got exactly 3 to my name and all 3 were killed less than 10 miles as the crow flies from where they got banded. Just don’t see many around here.

I’m glad they are rare otherwise I’d turn into some metal hungry doosher like you see on the YouTube. I really appreciate every one I’ve got even if they were local. All wood ducks too.

double limit likes this.