Barf alert: closing the newspaper loophole.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, May 21, 2003.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Houston Chronicle Will No Longer Accept Classified Ads for Handguns and Assault Weapons
    5/21/2003

Press Release
    Texans for Gun Safety
    PMB 498, 1302 Waugh Drive
    Houston, Texas 77019
    www.texansforgunsafety.org

Dave Smith
    Phone: 713-827-8916

Houston, TX - The Houston Chronicle, Texas' largest daily newspaper and the ninth largest newspaper in the country with a circulation of 550,000, will no longer accept classified ads for handguns, except from licensed firearms dealers. And the newspaper will not accept classified ads for assault weapons from anyone - licensed or not. The Chronicle will continue to accept classified ads for long guns: rifles and shotguns. The new policy went into effect on May 1, 2003.

A Chronicle spokesman said, "It's the right thing to do."

The Chronicle changed its policy after receiving a request from Texans for Gun Safety. Dave Smith, president of TGS issued the following statement.

"We congratulate and commend the Houston Chronicle for their common sense action to promote the health and safety of the community. Newspaper classifieds are an open door for criminals, domestic abusers, minors, terrorists, and others who cannot pass a background check to get guns with no background check, no questions asked and no records kept. We call on all newspapers and media across the state that carry advertisements for the sale of firearms to join this action by the Houston Chronicle in promoting public health and safety."

Texans for Gun Safety is a participating organization in the National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Gun Loophole - the unregulated sale of firearms through classified ads in newspapers without a background check on the would-be buyer.

The National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Gun Loophole is a coalition of approximately 25 gun violence prevention organizations. The campaign is asking newspapers all across the country to voluntarily stop taking classified ads for firearms from unlicensed sellers. The campaign does not object to newspapers taking classified ads from licensed firearms dealers because licensed dealers, unlike unlicensed sellers who sell guns through the classifieds, are required to conduct criminal background checks on all buyers

Since the campaign began in November 2001, the following newspapers have changed their classified advertising policy on firearms: Chicago Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, Miami Herald, Sandusky (Ohio) Register, Willoughby (Ohio) News-Herald, Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, Dubuque (Iowa) Telegraph Herald, and now the Houston Chronicle.

"Closing the newspaper loophole is easy," said John Johnson, an Iowa gun violence prevention advocate who founded the campaign. "It doesn't take an Act of Congress. All it takes is a management decision that can be implemented with a simple memo that says, `As of today, this newspaper will no longer accept classified ads for firearms from unlicensed sellers.'"

Additional information on the National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Loophole can be found at www.gunloophole.com.

2. pintail21

pintail21 Elite Refuge Member

liberal commies:mad: :mad:

3. deadgreenhead

deadgreenhead Senior Refuge Member

Texas, the greatest state in the nation before all
    Why is this bad? Just because it's some kind of gun control? It's not the result of a coercive government mandate. Instead, it appears to be the market regulating itself based on economic and social factors it has determined are in its own best interest. Seems perfectly reasonable to me; businesses do it every day. So why is this bad?

4. The Other David

DGH,

Good to see you around!

Warning, i am typing with one hand, so be prepared for errors.

So,

Why is this bad?
    It represents more hypocracy on the part of the media. They are closing off an aspect of legal commerce due to sopposed concern for safety and health, but the actual reason is not so important.

Ifbthey areb truly concerned about safety and health, why do they continue to accept ads for tobacco, alchol, butter, and fast cars? It is because they see this as a politically correct bit of PR they can trot out yet it costs them essentially nothing in terms of revenue. It is their right, no doubt, but it still makes me barf. How would you feel if they stopped accepting your advertising just because you are a lawyer? What you do is legal and all thast, but you know how some lawyeras are, what, slimey? So, they could take a look at how much revenue your ads bring and balance it against the potential PR value of being able to say, lodly, "We nno longer accept ads freom those bottom-feeding blood suckers, and we are proud of our sacrifice". Legal, but sleazey.

Just because it's some kind of gun control?

It is not gun control directly, since it is not done by government edict. But it is a private restriction on free trade.

In general, I hold the media in the same high regard that I hold ...well, never mind!

David

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

It's just another example, along with some of the most restrictive laws on Concealed Carry, of how the "Great State of Texas" - the bastion of freedom and the Alamo - is fast becoming another Kalifornia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Illinois, et al.

What ever happened to the Texan spirit of personal liberty? :(

6. deadgreenhead

Thanks for the greeting, David.

I'm trying to figure out how to respond to that post. I'm torn between a number of possible tacks. For example, on the one hand (sorry about the pun), there's the whole--->you didn't say anything I didn't say, except you used more words and included the words "hypocrisy" and "barf" and got in a good one or two on lawyers routine. But this is my first post in your fiefdom and you appear to be injured, so I want to be extra careful not to step on your toes.

Then there's the whole lecture I was mulling over regarding capitalism, free economies, rational maximization and the role media plays in it all--particularly in light of the butter and fast cars business, but I'm afraid woodie will try to cut me with a Bowie knife after I said it. ;)

Then, on the other hand (mine, not yours), I was thinking of discussing the fact that there very probably and realistically is a loophole worth closing by this simple measure, but I quickly realized there is just as probably no statistical documentation that can be referenced to back that up, meaning that point is certainly doomed to a quick stalemate.

Suffice it to say, I remain unconvinced this is in any way "bad."

BTW, what happened to your hand? My mind is reeling from all the possibilities at this point. :D In any case, hope it's better by the time the "shoosting" begins. ;)

Woodie, couldn't it be argued that this measure is one of personal choice, i.e., the newspaper's perogative, and was therefore implemented in the highest spirit of personal liberty? Readers of the newspaper have suffered little from this measure, IMO. They can quit reading it (no harm there, as very little passes for information in that rag and they will remain just as informed or ignorant as they once were...depending on how you look at it) or they can get their handguns from a different place (no harm there, they can still get all the guns they could ever want from any street corner because it's, well, Houston).

Just my .02.

7. WoodieSC

8. deadgreenhead

This might git good...he he, it'll be a few hours................;)

9. The Other David

DGH,

The ligaments in my left wrist failed and I had to get it rebuilt. It is literally wired togrther now. Prolly will be in a cast till end of July. It prteey much trashes my fishinbg season, butr i should be ok for hubnting. I would l9ike to note that about 75% of the men who asked then suggested I hurt it while masturbating or during rough sex. among women, the proportion is about 25%. Women are coming along nicely!

I was just kidding about the lawyers because it was an easy and obvious target.

As you kmnow by now, debates on policy that hac=ve nomdata to support them are DOA. Those debate are no more than mental masturbation, other than much bad public policy is actually based on them. I hope that fact scares you; it certainly scares me.

So, it seems to come down to a value judgement. You seem to accept that restricions on how, when, or where guns are sold is OK, and that having newspapers unilaterally decide that they would not carry the ads is not a bad idea. You avoid the issues I raised (e.g., alcohol, hypocrisy, refusal to accept ads from lawyers), although I felt they were important issues.

My value judgement is based on my opinions, which are based on data, that restrictions such as these are of absolutly novalue in preventing anything other than free exchange of legal goods, and that hypocrisy observed in this situation further damages the credibility, such as it is, of the media.

Best regards,
    David the Cripple

10. WoodieSC

David,

Sorry to hear about your wrist! And no, I didn't even consider that you may have hurt it while doing closet exercises. :D

Well said.