Barf alert: closing the newspaper loophole.

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, May 21, 2003.

1. Stretch

Stretch Elite Refuge Member

I'm kinda torn on this one...If I were the legal owner of a pistol and wanted to sell it , I believe I should be allowed to sell it in the classifieds..

But , looking at it from a different point...Convicted felons cant buy a gun from a dealer...They can look thorugh the classifieds and find one , call the owner and purchase that gun...Another point , if convicted felon A bought a gun from honest seller B , and felon A went out , robbed and shot someone at a liquer store , then ( with the silly lawsuits going through today ) , honest seller's B family could sue the one who sold the gun , and possibly the newspaper for allowing the add to be put in its newspaper...After that wierd judgement in Florida , anything is possible....

Stretch

2. 20gabismuth

20gabismuth Elite Refuge Member

As far as Houston and the press, we used to have 2 newspapers, the Chronicle and the Houston Post. It's been years, but when the Post cratered, it left the Chronicle wide open to do as it pleases. Just listen to the conservative radio talk shows here in town and you'll see what people really think of the Houston Chronicle!!;)

As far as what they are doing, I think they should allow gun owners to sell handguns, I'm scared as hell of gun control and any step, no matter how small or legal it may be towards it, is not good. Just my opinion.

3. Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter Elite Refuge Member

About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23 people)
    "We have the right to refuse service" also applies to privately owned newspapers, as it should.

4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

No doubt you have a point, Stretch. But I surmise that many/most felons wouldn't want anyone to be able to identify them. I know when I buy or sell a gun, I always get the seller's or buyer's name and phone number (confirmed by driver's license if needed) in case I ever get a question regarding the firearm.

But you're right about the lawsuit potential. It's getting ridiculous!

5. Runnin' 87

Runnin' 87 Elite Refuge Member

Ciudad Narnja de Tejas cerade Los Sabinas
    A felon can still buy a gun through a dealer. He just needs a "clean" straw man up front to do the purchase. Yes it is illegal for both to engage in the activity. It still happen though. Guns, stores, pawn shops, gun shows, the law breaker is still going to find away around the system.

6. kenaijack

kenaijack Guest

but I'm gonna jump right on in with both feet on this one!
    For those of you who think there really isnt a problem with the chronicles decision, you might need to re think your stance.
    Yes, it is a legal decision made by the chronicle. Its their paper and their management made a decision.
    But, the driving factor behind this decision is what we need to be worried about. To me it looks like the anti gun whatever organization just pulled off a letter writing campaign. (Sorry, the organization I'm referring to is in an earlier post, but Im old and forgetful:rolleyes: ) I do remember one statement that was said, and it was "closing the classified loophole is easy" yea, I bet it is! All it takes for the liberal media is a few hundred form letters one or two people printed out and copied and sent in, or faxed, or emailed.
    Next thing you know, they will send in a few thousand letters to their liberal friends in the senate and say look at what we accomplished! We have shut down this avenue for criminals to get easy access to guns! Please mister liberal senator, can you get a law passed banning all private sale or transfer of all weapons so I can live without fear of a criminal getting a weapon he is not supposed to have?

Whether you think what these papers are doing is right or wrong isnt what we need to be worried about, its going to be the end result! Most gun owners are fairly complacent, "I can just go to another source to get a handgun, or go down to Wal-mart" But we need to wake the h*** up! These anti gun folks are not complacent, and I can guarantee you they have their plan, and this is just a first step!

Kenaijack

7. WoodieSC

Excellent point, kenaijack.

And Welcome to the Refuge! :D

8. Strut

Strut Guest

Hello all,

I'm pretty new here as far as posting but come in and read various forums when I can. This thread has been most interesting. However until kenaijack's last post no one hit on what I consider to be the REAL danger in the chronicle's rule on gun ads. Hope y'all don't mind that a newbie add her two-cents worth.

IMHO, anti's are indeed sly. They're patient and calculating as they move quietly to chip away the very foundation our freedoms are built on. While we (the average American citizen) look at this "ad" issue and generally agree that it won't make a real difference to most of us, this and similar "Little" steps are gradually eroding our future as gun owners and hunters.

Each time we make a small concession, whether it be ad refusal or ceasing sale of ammo and firearms by the local K-mart or Wal-mart, a new precedent is set.

Whether we are personally affected (the chonicle's ad restrictions doesn't affect me at all) doesn't matter initially. What matters is that these small, seeimgly harmless, changes will eventually mesh into something larger than life. By the time that happens and it becomes a large enough issue to get everyone's attention, it will be too big to fight.

The public can argue with businesses or try legal remedys until the cows come home. The only language most of them understand is the profit section of their balance sheet. Therefore the best way to get their attention is to become a former customer.

9. WoodieSC

Welcome aboard, Strut! Thanks for joining in, and you're right about the anti's slyness. It affects much more than gun control, obviously, but they're activity there is most noticeable to many.

Stick around and join in the debates.

10. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I understood that TOD hurt the wrist writing out invoices to lawyers:D

Any time there is a restriction placed on "what I can say" in a public or semi-public forum, without a reasonable basis, I consider that an erosion of liberty. True, the paper is owned by a private enterprise, but I bet that they will sell advertisement space to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Acadamy Sports and any number of COMMERCIAL gun sellers, but not PRIVATE gun sales? Smells mighty funny to me.

If you think convicted felons, or active felons, regularly buy thier guns from the classifieds, you are very mistaken. Ask any of your friends in law enforcement where the guns are coming from......and what the "street price" for a 9mm is compared to the retail price. It will be quite eye opening for you.