Barnyard Grass

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by AMillertheduckilla, Jun 6, 2017.

1. AMillertheduckilla

AMillertheduckilla Refuge Member

My local seed stores do not vary this, anyone have a good website where they order from?

2. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

3. AMillertheduckilla

Anyone know why some stores are listing barnyard grass and Japanese millet as the same thing? I assume this is not true. Looks like a lot of places are also calling BG wild millet. I'm just trying to make sure I order the correct thing.

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

BY grass and wild millet one in the same. River refuge has best prices although shipping can be a killer. Jap millet is not BY grass but I believe it was derived from it. BY grass will reseed itself Yearly.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Same genus, Echinochloa. Google barnyard grass and you should see both pop up.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Don't know how/where you plan on planting it but if you have a crop such as corn adjacent to it then the species of by grass you purchase might be of consideration. The reason being that E. crus-galli (the type river refuge seeds sells) is a non native, grows tall, and is very proficient at robbing vital nutrients from other plants. It also can colonize and mature plants are often difficult to eradcate due to their resistance to spraying. On the other hand, a different type of by grass such as E. muricata is a native and much less agressive and worrisome to those that that plant some other crops.

I simply bring this up because not all by grasses act the same and might adversely affect an area that one doesn't want it to.

7. AMillertheduckilla

The place I am wanting to plant is overly close to farmers fields, maybe 200 yards away. Currently the spot is over run with cockle-burrs. We planted Jap Millet there last year with ok results, but it did not pull the ducks like I was hoping. This year I'm planing on spraying for the cockle-burrs and leaned towards the BY grass since it should come back on its own next year. There area will flood after snow melts. Water depth will range from 0-5ft.

8. AMillertheduckilla

Will the grass that river refuge sells lay down or does it stay tall? We usually have about 1-2ft of water until late season when it fully floods.

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

It should lay down rather nicely for you. It doesn't have hardy stalks or long coarse leaves as some of the other grasses (panic grass) do and doesn't seem to get real thick. I have to mow/bushhog my pg in order to show water.