Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Barrel nut on shift linkage siezed

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Tystix, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

Tried to drop my lower unit on my 9.9 Yamaha and I couldn't get the barrel nut on the shift linkage to move. I could get the lower lock nut to spin but not the barrel nut. Just felt like it was going to shear off if I tried any harder. Sprayed with some teflon gel lubricant hoping it's just rust.
    Any other thoughts?

2. 30# MERGANSER

30# MERGANSER Senior Refuge Member

Heat; use a propane torch to heat it up that should do the trick

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

If heat doesn't work, use heat and ice. Heat both bolt(male) and nut (female) to expand both. Then hit the bolt/male with ice to contract it. Also soak with transmission fluid a few times and let sit overnight, then do the process above.

Tystix likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

KROIL is your best friend.

callinfowl and Tystix like this.
  5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

This!!!
    I used Kroil on 80 yr old 12'' mechanical flanges on steam lines to break the nuts free. It works better than anything else that I have tried, period!!!
    Shock it a few times by hitting it with a brass hammer then heat up the nut. While it's still hot hit with a bunch of Kroil, then wrap a small piece of shop towel around it the best you can and saturate it with more Kroil. Allow it sit for a day or two, hitting it with more spray as often as you think about it. If that doesn't work it ain't coming apart without a grinder. :reader:tu

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019