Barren beach duck blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by duckduckg00se, Aug 24, 2017.

1. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

Hunting on a point-sand bar type area at a local Ohio reservoir. No brush, no treeline, no drift wood. Nothing for hundreds of yards. Just dried mud from where they lowered the water level and lots of small stones. Surrounded on 3 sides by water. Big water on left, goes into a cove at the bottom of the point, small water on right. It is my blind spot i drew at a lottery, i have it all season. I can build whatever type blind I want, I think. I'm thinking of making an a-frame type blind with grass or just bringing in timber and using my layout blind. Can you dig a pit blind on public property in Ohio? What have you done for concealment when there's no natural cover? Would a standard 5ft tall wooden blind work? Thanks in advance. If you know a thread where this has been talked about please let me know.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
    Better luck next year.

As for this season, I'd install about 100, six-foot tall willow branches about 15 yards back from the water's edge. Space most of them randomly, with 20 or so in a tight clump for you to hide in.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Fowler267 and duckduckg00se like this.
  3. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

4. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

Build a willow blind where you want it as early as the law of land allows(30 days for WI) and continue to add to it every week. When new birds come they don't know the point didn't have a clump of willows on it. If local rodents (beaver and muskrats) are a problem put in dead dry limbs additionally so you can also keep them from their reach. Blend it in with a few willows here and there.

duckduckg00se likes this.
  5. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

build a driftwood/deadwood blind on water edge. never seen a lake yet that doesnt have some kind of timber around. This blind will always blend in

6. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Might try a painted canvas blind, to match color of surroundings. And drag up some drift wood to put around it.

7. aecrowell

aecrowell Refuge Member

Can you use a boat to bring blind building materials?

If so start collecting driftwood, logs and misc flotsam and jetsam. Bring a bunch out there and start building. When you think you have enough bring some more. Cut a bunch of live cedars and use them also. Blind building is fun and there is nothing like building your hide and making ambush.

8. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Make it look like a beaver mound

9. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Can you dig down a foot or 2? That would make it a lot easier to hide?

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Two ways to be successful, assuming ducks use the spot. If they don't, nothing will work.
    1) Try to be invisible. Best way, IMHO, would be layout blinds mudded heavily. If you can dig down a bit it would be better. If not, pick up some driftwood to help hide shadows and outlines. Obviously I'm assuming drawing the spot doesn't mean you have to build a permanent blind.
    2) Go BIG. A big pile of brush in an open are doesn't bother ducks. Between flood drift, beavers and mankind clearing ground, ducks are around brush piles all the time. The key is BIG so you can hide everyone inside. You can be as elaborate as you want on the blind, but at the very least you need enough of a frame to support the brush on the sides and top. Right now, cut as many oak branches as you think it will take, and then cut three times as many. When you brush it, make it look like a big pile of brush. Ducks will land right next to it.