Barren beach duck blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by duckduckg00se, Aug 24, 2017.

1. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

Thanks for the good ideas keep them coming. I have a jon boat. And snips, and a shovel. I'm going to go out to the spot this weekend see how easy it is to dig. And if the shore has timber. I'll post pictures soon.

2. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Some years our spot is one 4 acre sand bar. So we use grass and willow to brush our pontoon boat blind. we try to make it look like a small island on the edge of the bar. 100_1377.JPG 100_1384.JPG

duckduckg00se likes this.
  3. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

How'd you do? did the Ducks get spooked? Would they flare?

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I've not had any trouble decoying divers hunting from layouts on a bare gravel bar but puddle ducks were a bit more wary. Pay attention to prevailing wind direction and sun direction before you start building your blind, could save a lot of frustration. New arrivals don't know that the blind isn't something that's supposed to be there. What ever you decide, as others have said, brush it well so the birds don't see movement. You might want to drag up some brush and logs to make some smaller piles scattered along the shore to make it look more natural.

5. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Whats the reservoir location in Ohio if you dont mind me asking. Im in Ohio and just wondering if your my neck of the woods.

6. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

I'm in the Dayton, Ohio area. I had a post asking which blind lottery to enter. No one responded! I see you've hunted Grande Lake/St. Mary's. I'm further south. Drop a line sometime if you're looking to hunt off a barren sand dune!

7. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Yeah I'm only about an hour from ya. I didn't score a blind spot this year (72 blinds and 550 people showed up for them) but I'm working on plan b.

Thanks for the invite we will have to try to get together either there or here.

8. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I used to hunt a similar style place, our spot was a huge sand bar that jutted out into the lake when they lowered it to the winter pool. we used to dig down till we got to water lever then put a tarp in the hole and put some sand back on top of the tarp, then we would mud up our layouts really well and leave them out there in the holes we dug all season. We were lucky that the water table was low enough that the tops of the layouts were level with the ground. I will say this though that spot was a lot better for geese off the ice then it was for ducks.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Boat loads of brush..............then a few more boat loads of brush .
    Make the pile look way to big to be a blind......the local birds might not like it, but once new birds push into the area, they won't have a clue that you are there.
    And lots of full body decoys both in the water and on the bank, as many as you can get your hands on, with floaters mixed in throughout the full bodies in the water.
    I'd have 100 to 200 decoys or as many as your boat can haul out.:yes:yes:yes

10. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

Alright! So here's the update. I've purchased a metal fence and grass mats. Going with an A-frame style, not the traditional blind. Easier to transport and take down. I'm going to do a base layer of grass mats underneath, then build up the outside with brush and tall grass. I'll put any timber I can find around the blind. I'll put a few fence posts in and around the blinds and attach additional grass, timber to them to break up the square shape of the fence.

One question: How do I keep people from coming in and stealing the posts/fence/grass/blind?