Barren beach duck blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by duckduckg00se, Aug 24, 2017.

1. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Unfortunately unless its on private ground then it will be subject to possible theft and even private ground its a possibility.

duckduckg00se likes this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

You don't. Short of standing guard all season long, thieves are going to steal. A hidden game camera may help the recovery and prosecution though.

Allinodad and duckduckg00se like this.
  3. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

I suppose not posting in online forums describing the exact characteristics of my blind and location would have been helpful in preventing theft..... I'll post pictures after it's built. They may be all I have to remember it by after it's stolen. :) :) :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

LOL look up the definition of "askhole"

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Hunted lake draw down mudflats for puddlers for decades. Nothing but an occasional stump for hundreds of yards for up to a mile in any direction. 6 inch or less water over bad mud in many cases. Like hunting a table top.

I designed and made homemade roll-back/fiip top canvas blind with canvas side mudded to match area. Sides of blind each had a bracket that held the frame pieces that formed the moving part of the flip top top. The flip top Top is held in closed position by a cord tied to a u shaped metal release bracket; when bracket disengaged, and cord released, the top snaps back uses rubber tension cord(surgical tubing) on the three piece folding frame like a convertible top from the 1950's. Light canvas sides sewn to thin rebar welded top frame that has four corner male posts at each corner and aluminum short legs fit in to the male piece to hold it upright. The top was pulled down to about a four inch viewing slot on front and good part of both sides so working birds visible 270 degrees. Can dig a 2 foot trench for you legs and use three foot blind legs so total height @ three and a half feet (allowing for convertible top bump in height) and become invisible.

Release the flip to trigger, stand up and birds right in your face.

This blind was totally portable carried in boat, and we reached the area by boat, and also used a thin plywood floor piece with cut out for foot trench and male pole bases at corners to fit corner poles, (poles also fit in to solid male pieces in corners of top frame;and sat on seat cushions with feet in tench.

Actually made a few of these blinds for different areas; frames was about 48 inches deep and as wide as you need to fit number of hunters (never more than three). Sometimes the dog sat fifty yards behind the blind and sometimes he was in the blind, (but muddy conditions meant he usually sat behind the blind). If you had some lake/river bottom stumps near us we used longer legs and sat on buckets and avoided the trench. Have had a hundred++ mallards land virtually on top of this set up . Can also hunt with a camo see through mesh flip top if weather is not an issue. Many people have asked me to make these blinds for them but I never pursued it. Very portable.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  6. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

I hunt in the same exact situation except where I hunt all blinds have to be removed at the end of the day and no natural brush may be moved or cut to make a blind. What I did was to go and get 2 painter tarps. I dyed the tarps to match the soil as close as I could. Than worked some soil on the tarps to further match the surroundings. I placed the tarps so that they would gradually went from ground level to about 3 foot high so it just looked a a small rise on the sand bar. I found that the tarps had to be anchored tight so that they wouldn't flap in the wind. A little sand along the edges and tent stakes prevented the movement in the tarps. Where the tarps met it was around 3 foot high. Tied off by using small metal fence posts. These I leave out until the end of the season. Sitting on a turkey stool I was sitting just below the top of the tarps.

Since it is a walk in only area I just take a dozen field and dozen and a half water decoys and 6 goose shells. With the tarps and decoys that's about all I can haul with my deer carrier.

7. duckduckg00se

duckduckg00se New Member

Thanks for the input. Update: I put out a two man A-Frame with grass mats and natural grass. I have extra fence posts to go off both the sides and front holding even more natural grass with wire and zipties. Brown tarp on inside to block wind, keep feet dry. Have 3 small logs/big branches in the area. Kind of took suggestions from a few different posts.

Bad news, I'm up on the elevated bank away from deep water for now. Lots of rain in first half. Usually drop water 3 feet, and exposes huge rocky/muddy beach and peninsula. (Waters real shallow where I am.) I can't spread it out and do full set up until they drop the water. No room on bank with trees and shrubs. When they drop the water it should be a good 20 feet wide beach with a pennisula jutting out. And mostly shallow water except for the end of the pennisula .

Saw lots of divers first half couldn't get them to decoy. Hope that changes when i get closer to deep water.

Thanks for the help, pictures to follow when I get out to the beach.

gadwall52 likes this.
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Have you considered simply using an old chaise lounge to lie on, maybe even digging a 1 foot deep trench so you are kind of even with the sand bar. Then taking a piece of canvas, painting it with sand colored latex paint and sprinkling it with the same sand that is on the bar?

Sault Ste. Marie likes this.
  9. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

Not to change the subject, but there is a state drawing to hunt public land and you get the area for the season?
    What is to prevent anyone else hunting your blind once its built? Is this on a public river or lake? 550 some permit seekers and only 70 something areas open. I guess we have it better here than I thought...

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I have done it down here on corps lakes that get drawn down. Boat blind, no brush, huge decoy spread and hunt a crosswind. Find a crappie bed if you can and set up against it or a stump, whatever.