Basic training, an update

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by waterswatter, Jul 27, 2017.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Here is where we are:

I can do a short blast on the whistle or use my hand signal and he will sit and stay for 2-10 minutes before I figure that is long enough and release him. I can walk 200 feet away and act like I'm doing something else and he will stay until I release him. He comes directly to me when I call him and he does that consistently. Collared doves flying around him and cats walking thru the yard 60 feet away don't seem to distract him.

However, I would guess all bets are off if I reintroduce him to the bumper. If it is like before, he will pick it up and run around before he brings it back to me.

And maybe I should mention that I shot a pigeon flying out of the barn a couple of months ago (it was banded I might add) but only wounded it and Oliver went wild over it once he got over the initial sensation of a new smell. That experience triggered his prey drive and there was no way he was gonna listen to me and bring that bird back or release it until he was finished with it. That took about 5 minutes of playing before he settled down.

Comments are welcome. Thanks

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Well, that was fast.

at some point you should probably have a pro trainer assist with "hold", then move on to "Force Fetch".

find a training program and stick with it, but never think you are done with OB training. It will carry over to everything else that you do.

As others have said previously, find a retriever training club. it will make training more fun. you'll meet some new guys and hopefully learn something.

I'm not an expert, but a few guys on here are. Listen to them........... Buy their stuff.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you scroll down this link's newsletter's articles to the three on delivery to hand, http://uklabs.com/newsletter.php, that plus what you've been working on could be the start of a good habit.

Foxwood likes this.
  4. waterswatter

I need to clarify....we have been working with him for several months on commands. It is with the bumper that he starts playing around, thinking it's a game and that is what I'm working on.

I would have responded sooner but we've been on the road for three days and my fat fingers have too much trouble with the smartphone. Thanks.

5. Jim Engebretson

Jim Engebretson New Member

If he's playing keep away with a bumper he is disobeying the here command.

Doc E likes this.
  6. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Put a check cord on him right away. That's a game they like. Slow down and get the basics done and get on a program

Doc E and bullpinnie like this.
  7. waterswatter

I worked with him a couple of times with a 50 foot cord and choke collar and I could see an improvement almost immediately. I let him loose (unclipped the rope) and then made him sit for about 8 minutes before I let him fetch a bumper I had tossed 5 minutes earlier and he brought it right back to me. I was so happy, I gave him praises and ended the lesson right there. Thanks for the help.

bullpinnie likes this.
  8. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

So you are saying you put a check cord on a couple of times and he was all of a sudden perfect, problem completely solved in less than a week and proofed? I think he has your number.

Doc E likes this.
  9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Dog is 14 months old and you say "since I can't control him" and "I don't try to correct him"......and I "praise him a lot" after he misbehaves. There is no quick fix for a dog that has trained 5 times a week for several months with the above admissions. It is not the dog.

My advice is find a very patient mentor. :reader

Doc E likes this.
  10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

This is likely the best advise you'll receive on this board!

Doc E likes this.