Basic training, an update

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by waterswatter, Jul 27, 2017.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I don't think I said "I praise him a lot" after he misbehaves but maybe I did.

I do admit that he is leash savvy.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

July 24th......1st post.

3. KwickLabs

Much of what a retriever does is based on developing conditioned responses. A retriever learns that certain actions are either
    self-rewarding or rewarded by the trainer. It is not the "job" of the dog to determine what those should be. It is the trainer's
    responsibility to set up situations where the dog can learn the skill if it is presented properly. A plan with short term rationale
    for each session is very important.

Dogs are more likely to succeed when they are motivated. Anything perceived as a reward re-enforces what the dog does in
    that time frame (right or wrong). In addition, it is important to be consistent and precise. Then there is practice......correct
    repetitions cement the desired expectation.

The teacher (trainer) must have a clear idea (picture) of how he is going to proceed. One critical aspect (which is often ignored)
    is answering the question What does my dog need to know (in terms of other skills) so as to be more likely to succeed
    with today's session.
    This approach is extremely important when the trainer has never been there before. "Winging it" does
    not work.

Doc E likes this.
  4. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

When I first joined this forum I was quickly annoyed by answers to my questions that were only more questions. Then I got so tired of hearing, what program are you using? that I thought all folks did on here was get commissions for pushing newbies to buy videos and books.

Then I got my second dog, started training myself using a program that is mentioned here daily and it all started to make sense.

Pick a program, start at the beginning regardless of the age of the dog, ask for help here and locally, you and your pup will be glad you did. Or do what i did with my first dog, keep a big can of rocks with me so we could run blinds.

Mac5pack, Doc E and Timber Hole like this.
  5. KwickLabs

I began that way. :h Brings back fond memories. Then one day after we had the "rock throwing routine" down "pretty good", I forgot to gather a bag of rocks.
    In a stroke of desperation or genius (not sure which), I faked a throw and "Lick" took the "cast". Voila my "trained" retriever was "handling" on blinds. :yes

p.s. She was a "free" Lab from a newspaper ad. Owner said, "She won't retrieve from water and kills cats". Dang, I wanted to hunt ducks and we had a cat......but
    she was free. :l

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Mac5pack, Hogleg and Rangerbob like this.