Basic training

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by waterswatter, Jul 24, 2017.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I am working on obedience and retrieving with my 14 month old male yellow lab. It seems like all he wants to do is retrieve all day long. I'm guessing that as long as you throw the ball, he will run after it. But, he does not always bring it back. At times, he will run around and play with it for a minute or two and then bring it back. Since I can't control him, I don't try to correct him but just wait and then praise him a lot when he brings it back.

Have I started him on a bad habit? I want a dog that will sit and stay when I tell him to (he minds most all of the time). I want a dog that will come when I tell him to come (we need to work on that one).

I work with him about 5 times a week for 5 to 30 minutes sessions.

Any suggestions from the experts here? Thanks.

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

How long have you had the dog? 14 months is pretty late to just be starting basic OB.

OB should probably be less than 30 min. I'd prefer to do 3 five minute sessions per day than 1 30 minute one.

buy a pinch collar, and 100 foot check cord. Start with "sit". it should probably only take a few days to move on to "come / here".

3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

1. Get on a Proven training program (I prefer the Smartwork" series of books and tapes.
    2. QUIT throwing too many retrieves (always stop with the dog wanting more)
    3. Join a Retriever Club

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

So, it looks like you have had Oliver almost one year, and you wanted him to be ready to hunt this Fall.
    One of the first commands we teach is the "HERE" command. The Smartwork Puppy DVD shows how to do that. Force Fetch is also in your future, so get the SmartFetch book and DVD.
    You have a loooong way to go before Oliver is ready to go hunting. You should have started this a long time ago.

5. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Doc. I like what bullpinnie said but I don't use a pinch collar. Get a good ecollar and LEARN how to use it.

6. waterswatter

Thanks guys for the comments and advice. I know I have not worked with him early enough and consistently enough and I won't make any excuses for that.

I know a trainer 2 miles down the road and another one about 20 minutes away. I've been talking to both and might have one of them take over.

Thanks

7. bullpinnie

try to make it fun for the dog.

this would be a good way to start.....

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  8. waterswatter

What is that....a Jack Russell terrier? That is pretty neat.

Thanks for the link. Is kind of reassures me that I am on the right track, just behind.

9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Stop throwing balls. Stop doing everything until he comes when you call him. After he comes when you call him never throw him another ball.

10. bullpinnie

thats what the rope is for.