Basic training

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by waterswatter, Jul 24, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

There is a peculiar approach to "here" that tends to get in the way. One way to do this is to create the
    "action" before "needing" it to happen. After the action is elicited, the next step is to re-enforce it. There
    are actually two ways to do this. You can "make" a pup come to you by pulling him in with a rope or
    you can set up situations where the pup comes to you because it is a lot of fun and rewarding.

They both work....when done properly. The problem with "making" is that teaching is required and
    often times inexperienced trainers tend to employ too much making and not enough teaching.

Initially, "have to" vs. "want to" are the choices. "Want to" requires more finesse/teaching.

I now do "sit" first and "here" later. Both begin as self-rewarding behaviors that are eventually
    re-enforced with the e-collar.

I've done "here" and "sit" both ways. Teaching can be a lot more fun when "Because I said so!" is
    not the primary motivation.

2. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

Routine is a big one with OB...set a standard and stick to it. My dog sits for everything...doors, food, kennel, etc. We have been doing it so long when we walk up to the door he just sits and waits auto now