Basin idea's for improvements.

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator

please post any idea's or improvements for the Basins that you feel would help make them a better place to enjoy our sport and benefit the wild life that use them.

2. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

Port-O-Potties :l:l:l (They'd flair the ducks though!)

3. DUC HNTN

DUC HNTN Senior Refuge Member

Stop putting cattle in them...they create ankle-breaking hoof prints that are not distinguishable at o'dark thirty, until you have already stepped in one and broke your ankle.

I know this was mentioned in another thread, but get rid of the barbed wire. Too many hunting dogs and waders fall casualty to these every year...

4. Ducksforu

Ducksforu New Member

Get 4000 muskrats and disperse them in all the basins and lets them clean the weeds out. Also build one deeper pond on all basins that will always hold water so dry years muskrat has a place to go. Cheap eco friendly labor and only allow trapping when they are over populated.

5. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Cattle, filling reuse pits, removing dikes and acquiring more habitat are the future of the RWB. If your suggesting otherwise your a fool.

6. Jon-Barta

Jon-Barta Senior Refuge Member

Kaiser, fool might be a strong word, maybe misinformed. Grazing for a wetland is very beneficial...... as long as its not over done. Lots of research out there to back this up. Love the idea about the water rats! Its crazy how quickly they "clean" up a place.

7. kaiserduckhelm

1. Make loading only areas off the roads with a gate. Guys that use layout boats or like to float gear out with a small boat would really like that.
    2. Better boat ramp access at larger basins. They won't be useable every year but will keep boatblind guys happy when they are.

8. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator

I need to make a trip down and see the basins once so I can understand what you are all talking about, it does sound like a good place to hunt from the sounds of it.

it also sounds like there has been a lot of time and money invested it keeping these water fowl area's open and producing waterfowl and grazing for cattle during dry years.

9. kaiserduckhelm

The overseeding and then grazing has worked well. I have never seen so much duck food!

10. Jon-Barta

Jon-Barta Senior Refuge Member

he overseeding and then grazing has worked well. I have never seen so much duck food!

Agreed. Just the disturbance of the ground in/around the wetland itself is a great stimulator for stuff like wild millet, smartweed, ect. The hoof traffic during short, intense grazing also promotes the seed/soil contact of the warm season grasses after the cool season grasses have been grazed.