Basin idea's for improvements.

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

I would take every dime and put it towards buying more land and converting back to what it was. It's called the rainwater basins not pumping water basins. Invest that money for the long term, they don't make more basins but the rains will keep coming. If you want to pump stuff for hunting pump corn.

2. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

Farming practices today has change the way water use to go in to the basins. Wildlife needs water also and that is way we need to do some pumping. I have been working to save the wetlands for over 50 years and that is why we have WMA's today. If you could see the Rainwater basins 65 years ago, you would not believe your eyes. Most of the money coming in for buying land is for paying taxes. I am not saying not to buy more land but we need to maintain these lands. Solar power is a long term use. Canals gates to divert flood water in to some basins or drain canals in the fall are long term uses. I don't expect everyone to see the Rainwater Basins the way I see it.

3. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Do they have a canal system east of 281? I don't think I've seen one in the Filmore/clay/York counties or anything near the basins.

4. habitatman

The canal system is in the western basins. I have talk to water fowlers out there and they think it can be done. A lot of farmers are starting to use Solar power for there pivots. This may also work in the basins. The FWS and NGPC need all the help they can get to help out the wetlands in Ne.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

It still baffles me that the state pays taxes on state owned lands. Solar power would be the best option as far as long term costs. Wind may be another option. I thought dry cycles were part of the normal basin lifecycles. If you continually had water, the vegetation would change dramatically after a few years.

6. habitatman

Farming practices has made to many dry years. Up intel the last 10 to 15 years basins like Funk, Harvard, Johnson, Massie,Smith, Mallard Haven and many other basins had water in them most years. They were full of muskrats and many other birds and animals. Yes some dry up and others hold some water most of the year. Wind power is out for the basins because it is harmful to waterfowl. Taxes have to be paid because farmers have to pay taxes and when we take taxes off the land that pays for school and etc. Farmers think they are pays all the taxes. If we didn't have to pay taxes on WMA's we would be in good shape to buy more poor farming lands and be able to take care of the them.

7. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

They have ran canal water into Funk at the end of irrigation season every year I've been paying attention, which is 5-6. They ran flood water into the Tri County canals a couple years ago off of the Platte when it was flooding bad in the fall, the canals ran water into Funk for about a month straight at that time. Neither of these are new ideas, and Funk might be the only western basin set up to even receive canal water.

Solar power has been used to fill cattle tanks for a while, seems like that might be a feasible way to put some water into the basins. I have no idea what maintenance costs on solar panels would be like though, and if they are put on public ground you can bet some jackwad is going to do some damage eventually

8. habitatman

I know the FWS put some water from the canal every year at the end of irrigation but it cost them. That flood water they put in to Funk a few years back. FWS though they were doing a good deed for Ne. and later got a $60,000 bill from them for doing it. Money they didn't have. There is more basins then Funk that canal water can be used. I would like to see a gate put in the canal that would run all extra water in the canal at the end of the irrigation season in to the basins. I see that farmers are using solar power to run there pivots. I would like to see the FWS, NGPC, & RWJV with the Friends of the Rainwater Basins try to get a Grant to see how it will work out in the basins.

9. habitatman

I know the FWS put some water from the canal every year at the end of irrigation but it cost them. That flood water they put in to Funk a few years back. FWS though they were doing a good deed for Ne. and later got a $60,000 bill from them for doing it. Money they didn't have. There is more basins then Funk that canal water can be used. I would like to see a gate put in the canal that would run all extra water in the canal at the end of the irrigation season in to the basins. I see that farmers are using solar power to run there pivots. I would like to see the FWS, NGPC< RWJV, The Friends of the Rainwater Basins try and get a grant to see how they would work in the basins.

10. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

Solar arrays large enough to power a pump to supply enough water to fill and pump a basin would cost in the neighborhood of $50 to $70k. I say spend that on more land and better restoration.