Basin idea's for improvements.

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

We don't have any money. We were looking to get a grant for long term pumping. I see RWJV is working on a project that sound really good. I think $50 to $70k would be a good deal. The solar panels last like 25 years. You are talking like pumping 2 month a year and sell back the rest.

2. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

The solar panel idea is great!! Except you hafta realize the society we live in today and what we have become as a country. That $50-$70k investment won't even last 1 season because some degenerate that didn't get his butt whipped when he was younger will go out there and "pattern his shotgun" on the solar panels. Or some meth head liberal that just walk out of the latest black lives matter "protest" will strip it for everything he can pawn.

The rains will return and so will the ducks.

3. habitatman

I got my new DU magazine the other day. I read DU NEWS a story about Former president of DU Robert Marcotte. Back in the early 1970.s The Committee To Save Our Wetlands which I was apart of was award the Wildlife conservation of the Year. My brother Ray was the Chairman and was sick and I took the award from Robert Marcotte. This award given us for getting the first Habitat Stamp that has bought us all the WMA.s we have today. Robert was a great DU man in Nebr.

4. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

I think him and his wife came snow goose hunting with me.

5. habitatman

A friend of mine was hunting at County Line WPA a few days ago. While walk though it he came across a wooding blind that some one build and left in the basin. Most people know you can't do that. Now some one from the FWS will have to take it out because some bonehead didn't. It must have happen a few years ago when it was full of water.

6. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

There has been a rash of people building semi permenant blinds on places where they need to removed daily. They seem to think they own the place after that.

7. Jon-Barta

Jon-Barta Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a controlled burn....

8. habitatman

I told the FWS about County Line and they will take care of it. So if you know of other places let the FWS know. The FWS in Nebr. gets so much money each year to take care of the WPA's. When they have to spend money to take out trash that so bonehead left. That is less money they have operate on. I don't believe that Nebr. FWS get enough money from the Gov. to do a good job. Our Fed. Duck Stamps paid for these WPA's but don't pay to keep them up.

9. habitatman

NET Has a story on the Basins. Ne. Unique Habitats The Rainwater Basins. at netnebraska.org

10. habitatman

I was at a meeting with NGPC & RWBJV Oct.31. RWBJV has got there long range canal system in the western basins ready to go. We talk about grazing in the basins and the loss of habitat for pheasants & quail. They still want to do grazing but I think Pheasants for Ever could help with basins habitat. We talk about raising pheasants & quail in the basins & letting them go when old enough to fine food. The big reason I was at the meeting was the amount of water we are getting for pumping in the basins. We were getting like $25,000 when we first got the habitat stamp. Now many years later the habitat stamp in 5 times more and we are still getting about the same amount of money for pumping. With all the WMA's we have today that is not enough for hunting pressure we have today. We talk about access to the water for waterfowlers and they are going to put in some more after we talk about it. So if you know of any access places, let the NGPC know and they will look in to it. Keith Brown---Friends of the Rainwater Basins