Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bass Pro experiance

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Smackdown 870, Oct 5, 2013.

1. BrianC

BrianC Elite Refuge Member

Last week, I took a number and waited at the gun counter for 20 minutes for a can of H4350 powder, just to be told they don't have it. I suggested they take it off display if they don't have it as I had been waiting for 20 minutes. The guy told me I should have interrupted them to ask before waiting. I told him my parents taught me better manners than that.

2. minminn

minminn Elite Refuge Member

I went to Bass Pro when the last "sale" flyer came out and as always what I was looking for was sold out??
    Then I got into an issue at the ammo counter with my number ticket in hand, and all employees standing chatting and 45 mins no number was called.
    SCREW BASS PRO
    3 days later I went to Mollys and they had what I was looking for and regular price was 2 dollars less than Bass Pro sale price.
    Plus the owner himself walked me around the store and talked about unique ideas and products he uses and gave me the wife and the 4 year old the best customer service you could ask for.
    Not to mention some good eats next door and no rush hour traffic to fight!!

3. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Was $20 less with free shipping........its not the point ......its how the whole situation was handled......if one of your people make a mistake.........you make good on it

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I wanted to let everyone know that I had a terrible customer experince at BassPro tonight despite trying to take precautions in advance via the phone so that I didn't have to deal with it in the store and take a lot of time. I was interested in a caldwell shooting rest that was on sale at Cabelas for 149.99 versus the retail price of Basspro of $239.99 which is still $20 more than Cabelas retail price of $219.99. I called BP customer support at the Hanover md store yesterday and explained the sale price and said this was an item that Cabelas offered in their retail store and they had it in stock and also confirmed with Cabelas that they would offer the sale price in the store. The lady said I need to check with someone in hunting. After 5-10 minutes of waiting I explained the story to the hunting rep. He said he needed approval from his manager. 10 minutes later he said no problem. I told him I didn't know if it would make it there tonight and asked what I needed to do if I showed up tomorrow so that I didn't get the royal run around. He said to just go to customer support and give the managers name that gave the approval and bring a copy of the sale of the item from Cabelas site. so we drive an hour up there tonight get there at 9:20. No one in the parking lot or at the customer desk except for the associate. Explain my story and provide a printout of the item from Cabelas and the price and she said I need to get a hunting manager and calls back to the manager. She said he will be here shortly. 10 minutes goes by and he finally appears. I explain the story again and he said no problem I just need to verify the product on Cabelas site. 15 minutes later I ask the customer service rep to find out what is going on as I said I would like to get some shopping in tonight before they close. I said let me show you how much it takes to go to cabelas site on my smart phone, search the product by name and pull it up with the sale price. Now i said watch how long it takes to call Cabelas customer service @ 800-237-4444 and confirm they stock this item in their retail store and also honor the price letting her hear this from my speaker phone. I said this took 2 minutes if that and your manager has been in the back for 15 plus minutes now and said i and my daughters had plans to shop and possibly buy other merchandise. I asked if there was a store manager or anyone above this guy now. She said no the store manger had already left and there was no other supervisors above this guy. at 9:56 he finally pops out of the back room with the shooting rest and says the best I can do is honor the sale price but you must pay the shipping cost from cabelas to our store at approximately $15-$16. I said that is unacceptable and I never heard that policy before and also pointed out on my phone the $5 shipping from cabelas on order above $99.00. I also let him know how pizzed I was in nice way and explained how quickly I verified the product on my smart phone and additionally was able to call Cabelas customer support and verify the product in stock and the sale price in front of his customer service person and requested that he expplain why it took him 25 plus minutes. He said he had a computer crash and needed to boot up another PC and then also needed to get confirmation from another supervisor which I had already been told by the lady at the customer service desk that there was no other supervisors above him in the store at the time. I asked what type of PC takes 25 minutes to boot and asked if there were not any other PC's in the store with internet access that he should've considered if after 5 minutes he couldn't get one to work in his back room. He said there were other PC's in the store with internet access. I explained in 25 minutes time you could've hit any PC in the furtherst part of the store. I get home and check BassPro's site for price matching. No mention in there for charging the shipping difference on top of a competitors site. Called their customer support number on their web site and verifed what the so called manager did was very wrong. I have asked their customer service to have a manager contact me concerning this issue and requested that they explain to me why this happened and why a manager of all people would not know their own store policy on price matching and why he would need close to 30 minutes to verify a product from a main competitor like cabelas and why the price match needed 3 levels of staff at their store to approve this. I can only think that this was a spiteful act by the manager to make our experience unpleasant due to the price match request. They lost additional sales that we more than likely would have done and now I am so peeved that I am going to have a hard time to want to patronize them in the future. Sorry for my long rant here but i wanted to alert anyone else that plans on attempting price match and would advise you to print out basspro's price match policy from their web site and take it with you to the store to avoid a manager that doesn't know their own policy.

5. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Everytime I go to Bass Pro or Gander Mtn I leave with a bad feeling. I just can't seem to find the stuff that I'm looking for. If they've got the product, it's by some off brand manufacturer.

Went to the "new" Green Top recently...It's worth the trip.

6. Crow Bait

Crow Bait Elite Refuge Member

I feel the same way.

Amazon prime or local small businesses are where it's at.

7. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

Cabelas, four months and counting down!!!!!! Can't come soon enough!

8. purlin12

purlin12 Senior Refuge Member

I work at bass pro, we do not price match with amazon or any other online website, except gander mountain, cabelas and Rogers etc. We do not give discounts on ammo , guns or electronics... They might go on sale or have a rebate at the most. Cabelas vs bass pro is a hard topic, because both have ups and downs. Sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We do get a lot of people who drive long distances to come to our store,mi just recommend going on line, saves you money and the hassle.

9. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Then they might as well close down the brick and mortar and eliminate your job.

BPS sucks, always has. I end up in there about once every two years and get reminded as to why I generally stay away. ...but I wouldn't want them to go away either. It's places like them that make Rogers and others give the good deals and make us appreciate actual customer service when we get it. Once the Cabela's in Christiana opens I doubt that BPS Arundel mills will see me again.

10. ButtonBuck

ButtonBuck Elite Refuge Member

We order a lot of things from Amazon out our house. My wife has an Amazon Prime account and if it's a prime item, it ships free. Get low on shampoo or anything, it'll be at the house free in two days and often times cheaper than the store. I'm a huge fan of Avet fishing reels and I order them with free shipping, so it's not limited to household goods, etc.

If I need something from BPS or Cabela's, I just wait for $5 shipping or whatever. Even with shipping, unless I have to have it right away, the price of shipping is still cheaper than the gas and tolls to get to BPS. It does take the sting out of driving down to see the in-laws in Ellicott City though;)