Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Battery Booster

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by fireduck, Oct 10, 2018.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Looking for help with a small battery booster. Some of these units are not as big as your hand. Anyone know how reliable they are? You can get 600 to 800 amp-also charge your phone and i-pad. Some of these will jump a diesel!? I've seen a couple of hunters at the boat ramp with dead boat battery or truck battery. Looks like they range in price from $50-$100. Thanks for any help. fireduck

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I'm following this thread, I've been thinking about getting one to keep in the truck and mud boat during the season.:yes:tu

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That's nuts! I can remember trying to jump my GMC 2500 with a car years ago, and it wouldn't cut it. And that was with good jumper cables. Those things do look handy.

4. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

5. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I got one that was about $50 at Menards. It is rated to jump start a 6cy engine and is about the size of a fat smartphone. I have used it on both my 6cy jeep and my 8cy chevy truck and it has started both when the batteries died on me. I always take mine out with me on the boat as a back up jump start. My mudmotor engine does not have a pull start I can fall back on. It also has two usb ports so i can charge my phone while I'm out. Phone batteries drain pretty quick where I hunt and my job requires me to be available to take calls 24/7.

6. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I have looked at several this morning and I like the DB Power 600a from Amazon for $69.99- will charge several different things and I believe a 3 year warranty. Still looking- fireduck

callinfowl likes this.
  7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Go to Amazon and search for "Rugged Geek". I bought one of these a couple of years ago. I used to use the old bulky and heavy starter but this new generation of lithium ion starters is very compact and can do more than just be clamped to battery terminals on your car. It can provide backup power for a variety of electronics. My Rugged Geek starter is in my truck now and will be in my boat every time I take it out this year. There are different sizes of these devices. You'll need the higher amp hour model to jump a large block diesel truck, so buy accordingly.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I'd need to go up one size my truck has a 6.0L gas engine in it.:tu

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

https://smile.amazon.com/JS12-Start...&qid=1539204185&sr=8-1-fkmr1&ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1

Customer (friend) was chatting at the hut last week. They were going on a day trip duck hunting (he and his wife) and they forgot the guns!!! So, they had time to grab a coffee and chat. After about 15 minutes, time to leave, he looked at me, frowning, and asked if I had battery cables.
    Told him I had something better. Got my 'Weego' out of the back seat, hooked it up, and in 30 seconds he turned it over like there was no problem with his battery. They AREN'T like battery cables off another truck, where the juice is coming from an alternator, just hook up and turn it over. They have to be connected for 30-60 seconds.
    I mentioned in the other thread it has been sitting in the back seat for 6 months without being recharged, and I meant to re-charge it. I didn't. Still had enough to turn over his truck. (re-charged now tho)

Calln, I don't know what engine he has, but full size truck.

Another nice thing about that set, you can charge other stuff (USB) and it has a flashlight.

callinfowl and likesbigspreads like this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Are any of em water resistant/better for marine applications, if you know?