Battle of the silos

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by txduckster, Aug 4, 2014.

1. txduckster

txduckster Elite Refuge Member

I got both brands in and got to set them out one afternoon and got to take a few pics.

The Big Al's are on the left and Dive bombs on the right.

[​IMG]

In this pic, two mag light 3Ds are on the left, the Big Al's and Dive bombs are mixed but the Big Al's are the browner of the two.

[​IMG]

my initial thoughts:
    The Big Al's stakes are thicker but I could see the need to gorilla glue them in if you were hunting in gumbo mud. I doubt many people are going to put them in and take them out by the stake which he recommends. That would involve bending over farther than most are willing to do. Clients will do what ever is easier for them despite what it might do to your decoys. The Dive Bomb stakes are nice concept but my personal preference would be for the stake to be thicker and the top of it to have a 4 to 5 inch spread instead of the current 2ish inch spread. I think they will have some shaking issues in high winds if you don't (or can't) get the stakes in very far.

The coroplast on Big Al's decoys are not as thick as the dive bombs. The shine or lack of seems to be at least as good as the RG and I have killed thousands of birds over RG that were in much worse shape than either of the two in the picture.

I have some more testing to do but those are my initial thoughts. I will be posting more pics and thoughts until I pick a winner.

2. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

Are those the big al lessers? They look a lot smaller than the RG. Interesting that the shine factor is comparable. Have you looked at the big als from a distance in direct sun?
    Keep the reports coming. I wonder how well the BA will last over a couple seasons (or 1) of hard hunting.

3. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

Do you really think one would be more effective than the other based on slight color/paint scheme differences ? The question is which one is more durable ?

Bert

4. GO BUCKS!

GO BUCKS! Senior Refuge Member

I hunted with a buddy that had some Big Al's last year and it was my first time ever seeing them or using them. It was during September and we had a front move through which was lead by a line of thunderstorms. We got over an inch of rain easily during the storm so the ground turned to mud in a hurry and after the storms rolled through the NW winds kicked in to @20+mph. All of the Big Al's blew over in the mud due to the small surface area of the stake. It cut through the mud like a knife through butter. The Real Geese didn't budge. That was my only observation from the only time I have used them.

5. txduckster

Yes I forgot to mention the Big Al's decoys are the lessers.

The reason that I like the wires stakes of both of these over the RG is that most farmers here are planting no till wheat after the corn harvest and the ground is becoming increasingly harder to get the RG stake deep enough. Most customers walk around and put the stake two inches down and then as soon as the wind picks up you have half your spread on the ground.

6. Deltaone9er

Deltaone9er Senior Refuge Member

I bought big al's for last season and glued them all in with gorilla glue so that I can just push on the decoy to get it into the ground instead of pushing on the h-bar of the stake. Held up good so far.

7. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

What are the big als stakes made of? Steel?

8. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

raise your prices and hire someone* to put out the decoys. A billion snow goose outfitters can't be wrong! (or can they?):rolleyes:

*maybe one of the 15-18 yr old Guatemala boys need a place to stay this fall..

9. txduckster

You want me to run wind socks? I have my secrets.

Or do you want me to run full bodies? No thanks.

I'm about to be 42 years young and getting younger every day. My prices are already high enough. I'm not looking to get rich, I make really good money in the off season hauling oil.

10. Deltaone9er

Deltaone9er Senior Refuge Member

I think so.