Battle of the silos

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by txduckster, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

Private intel says these were killed with 48 ffd lessers and the two outlaws from 1994 were place merely for picture taking purposes.

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

No, just three dozen outlaws. I haven't seen an ffd since goosenazi sold his three years ago to buy realgeese in bulk just like his beer. BTW, I did punch my card before I "carried by hand or transported in any manner".

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well with the topic now sarcastically on outlaw decoys I have a question for anyone on here that may be able to answer it. Over the last few days since the arrival of my dive bomb decoys I have been flocking my 2 doz outlaw decoys leftover from the mid 90s. One problem I have run into is that a handful of them have warped into a semi corkscrew type shape probably from being overheated at some point during storage. Question is does anyone out there have any real first hand experience in flattening them back out? Only thing I have come up with is heating them to around 130 or so in the oven and then pressing them in between to weighed flat surfaces.

4. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

suburban cinderblock windows up and 100 degree day?

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

First hand experience says you can use a heat gun, carefully. You need to warm up a large area, not just the point of the bend. Need to go 3-5 inches further from the bend, but it doesn't have to get as hot there, just real warm. The spot of the infraction you need to get pretty hot. Only experience will tell you where that is, and you CAN burn the plastic. Trust me. But, if you get the temps right, then slap it between two pieces of finished plywood, with a car battery on top, it works. Finished plywood, not the rough kind. Smooth, flat surface is the key. Work on top of one piece of plywood. The extra warmth of the wood helps set the plastic, I think.

Of course, I am working from memory here, probably 30 years ago.

6. Big Bad Wolf

Those cards caused me a few problems three years ago, just a quick trip to the local popo station in cuffs and a small fine and I was back in the field the next day.

7. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

I have made similar silos and v boards, and I will be the first one to tell you that it isnt as easy as you think to build 10+ dozen silo or 100 v boards. If you plan to use them hard for a couple of seasons, you cannot go cheap on the materials and skip out on labor.

You have your time, wear and tear on tools, materials, beer, etc.

At $80 a dozen their isnt a ton of meat left on the bone. Well under minimum wage.

These silos have their place, and thats the Shore. We will use permanent rigs in the late season with 300-500 of these silos along with some shells, FBs, etc and consistantly kill migrators every day like its going out of style.

I will be the first one to say RG's are far superior and I use them when hunting out of my trailer, truck, or walking in. But if you want a big spread to pull birds, homemade silos from the Shore do it everytime. Just my two cent.

Then again, our birds do not get hunted alot, so what would us idiots from MD know..... :doh

8. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

10 Doz Dive Bombs for my Canada trip. :tu

9. Big Bad Wolf

Are homemade silos from the Shore different than homemade silos made in Anytown , USA???

Are Shore silos bigger, painted different, etc?

10. evileye

evileye Senior Refuge Member

Negative Ghostrider-Same as Anytown USA.