Battle of the silos

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by txduckster, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

I thought I was missing out...

2. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Yes , much better:tu:tu

It's one of those secrets if we told you we would have to kill you :eek:

Kind of like Bushes baked beans :l

MDCB is right, building/maintaining 100 sets of V-boards is a lot of work.

However, with a trailer/4 wheeler you can set out/pick up in about 20 min.

3. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

No I am not saying that the homemade silos from the Shore are different. What I was saying is that they have been proven over decades of use on the Atlantic flyway birds.

I was mainly commenting on the fact that they are not easy or cheap to correctly make. If you plan on using them in a permanent rig and/or expect them to last a few seasons, you need to put your time into making them and use quality materials.

Like I mentioned above, the RG's IMHO are far superior but day in and day out hunting over old school silos have given me an appreciatation for them and they work.

An oldtimer told me once: "Those full bodies and new decoys are awfully nice, but set a dozen big feet, GHG, RG's, etc out 300 yards and a dozen homemade silos out 300 yards. The homemade silos stick out and instantly grab your attention. Lots of geese have died because those homemades grabbed their attention from a long ways off and they come on in."

Same can be said for gunning over V-boards on the water versus full body floaters

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well Txduckster or anyone else who picked up some divebombs how did they work out for you? In my case we picked up 20 doz and flocked the heads on all of them. The decoys have held up with zero damage to the body's and the paint has not shown any signs of wear either. We are already planning on doubling the number of them before next year.

5. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

Dean, how well do they work on frozen ground?

6. txduckster

txduckster Elite Refuge Member

Well......I am still only using the 12 big flocks that I bought this summer. I had some unexpected expenses (two root canals and had to buy a new truck) and got my order in late and they were out. I have been using them and my old RG mag lites and I did get to do somewhat of a torture test on them. I have mixed them with my RG and tossed them around with them throughout the season. They are holding up surprisingly well with barley any scratches to the paint.

I have hunted quite a few fields that were so hard this year that we had to abandon even the RG and could only use my 16 dozen whiterocks and the dozen dive bombs. There were two days last week when the ground was frozen from the precip and then it got down to 14 degrees. We had to use a mallet to drive in the whiterocks but the dive bombs when in without too much problem.

I am still going to be getting 30 to 40 dozen as soon as they get more in which will hopefully be this week. I have some big groups coming up in a couple of weeks and will need them to hide hunters in the winter wheat.

7. WingedShooter7

WingedShooter7 Senior Refuge Member

How is the shine of them on Sunny days, if you've ran them on said days? I have 10 dozen Big Al Lessers and geese flare off them like the plague if the sun is out. Love them in any cloudy or weathery conditions but if that sun pokes out forget it there like reflective mirrors of doom.

8. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

They are much like the RG. They have that same textured paint that seems to absorb most glare. As for frozen ground we just give them a couple taps with a rock and in they go.

9. txduckster

Yep. All of that.

10. txduckster

Don't know how or why I put big flocks but I mean Dive Bomb's.