Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Bay Birds still around ?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Diver-Fun, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Diver-Fun

Diver-Fun Refuge Member

Making the trip down to Deal Island for the last three days of duck season and I am wondering what to expect. I read some stuff last night that some guys had some really great hunt. Are there still birds around or did I miss it.

Thanks for your input

2. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

It will depend on weather, wind, and whether we get freeze end of next week (seems unlikely based on forecast)..... birds are here, but "here" varies. The freeze changed things and some birds have left areas they were in before freeze. Some have come back, some have not. My suggestion is do some scouting the afternoon before you hunt down there so you can decide if you want to focus on impoundments or open water. The "x" keeps moving. This far out it would be hard to predict if you will be seeing birds or not.

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Honestly, the ducks that use deal have left. When the manokin froze, it pretty much made the Impound type birds (wigeon, gadwalls, etc) head south. I know that I am famous for deterring folks, but this is a sincere post. If it's a long trip, and you are expecting clouds of ducks, you are in for a serious surprise. You're better off hunting a mallard and black duck spot. There are still some blacks and hoodies down that way, a few hearty gadwalls- and I mean a very few and maybe some divers on the big water- but for the most part, it's sort of a dead zone. The only hope is that with the warm weather this weekend, stuff starts migrating north early.

4. Scotty

You hunt deal a lot?

5. torrentduck

I do not hunt deal area as much as I would like; most of my trips have been during second split. However, I have found that cyber or even "last week" face to face reports to be of limited value for down there...seems like things change very fast. Birds have a lot of choices given impoundments and open water being adjacent. I do not even know what the ice has done in those impoundments with the thaw we had. I do know I have sat in the impoundments or on the bay side based on recommendations only to hear shooting in the other area. Just trying to save this guy a wasted trip. Not always possible to scout far away places, but unless you have a buddy that can run out the day before you come, for me its a risk of a 3.5 hr trip to sit and watch the gulls if I don't get day before intel. Oh...and by "here but here varies" - I don't mean just Deal. This goes for the state as a whole. The freeze pushed and moved birds and some have not returned to the areas they were in pre-freeze. There are divers to be had in s. eastern shore at this time, that I know.

6. Scotty

Right- well, I am down here and hunt it a lot and my assessment is spot on- in fact, it's refrozen as of today.

7. torrentduck

Alrighty then. That makes you the subject matter expert for sure. He should definitely reconsider his trip if coming this weekend

mdmallard and dugan like this.
  8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Divers are the only duck worthy of hunting.

oysterfarmer likes this.
  9. torrentduck

You must lack taste buds? Actually -- all in how you cook them.

10. oysterfarmer

oysterfarmer New Member

divers in orange juice hard to beat .