Bayou Meto

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Sunklands, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Its been 15 years since I hunted there last and had some decent to good hunts. I used to camp just south of Hallowell by the boat ramp (its got a name but, dont remember it). Back then we'd hunt for about a week at a time and there'd generally be no more than 6-10 boats put in there. How much more of a mad house is it nowadays?

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Even fewer boats putting in there this year.

I've hunted Bayou Meto for over 30 years (not every season), and I can't recall a time there was both water and ducks when there were only 6-10 boats putting in at Upper and Lower.

3. Sunklands

I hunted there first in '97 and it was about the same, except for Saturdays and Sundays but, never crowded. We'd put in at the bar ditch, go up the bayou to the west side of hallowell and hunt the timber between the fuge and the bayou. There was some old sloughs that ran through there and eventually into the bayou. Pretty solid back then.

4. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

This is a troll right? Try 50 to 80 between upper and lower.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. Sunklands

Not at all but, I knew it had to be more crowded. I just didn't know if it was crowded or just f***ing ignorant down there. I got some time to head down in arkansas in a few weeks but didn't where to try it.

6. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

The last two seasons have been unbelievable. I look at it like this. It's public land and it's just as much the other man's right as it is mine ----- even more so if he's from AR. I travel light, stay mobile and leave my feelings in the truck.

7. Sunklands

Never had a bit a trouble down there. Generally let the locals go to their spots and then find a spot for myself and to myself. If it a decent to good hunt I go back, if not I'll find a different spot. I'd rather kill 2 and hunt isolated than get close to folks.

I never hunted the lower end but wouldn't mind trying it. Last time I was down there, the water was high and was tough hunting. The only place I've ever put a boat in, is where I described.

8. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

The Meto is the best flooded timber hunting in the country hands down and its not even close.

9. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

No water, no ducks. Spread the word. Tell your friends.

the Legend likes this.
  10. boscoyo

boscoyo Senior Refuge Member

BM is the "MLK Blvd" of duck hunting.