Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

BAYSIDE VS SEASIDE

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by SAXIS ISLANDER, Feb 13, 2017.

1. johnskipper41

johnskipper41 Refuge Member

On several hunts I had a seal swim threw my decoys while hunting the barrier island side. It was really cool it made a nice wake in the decoys. The other time the seal watched us shoot a goose then sent the dog after he returned with the bird the seal took a lap in the decoys.

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

They used to have trained seals in the Circus, back when we had circuses. I wonder if you had a trained seal to retrieve your ducks and also pull decoys back and forth across your spread, they'd write a law against it. Just sayyin.:h

Smackdown 870 likes this.
  3. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Many a curious honker has fell victim to the steel as I played fetch with the doggie......

Keith McGowan likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

5. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Just a sweet little Chocolate...

6. Frog Lips

Frog Lips Refuge Member

Every sunrise is a blessing, but it's hard to beat the decoys silhouetted to one of those seaside sunrises. I haven't had the seal experience, but we had a rather large pod of dolphins come through on the seaside.

7. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Very peaceful seaside. Hearing the waves, smelling the salt. Fond memories of sleeping in layouts with the sun shining down.
    Some of the Black ducks were very "Strong".

8. scott t

scott t Senior Refuge Member

Bayside- typically better variety. Better chance at divers late in the season.
    Seaside-tides keep the non-locals in deep channels. Really like killing ducks under the beach. Love walking the seaside marsh on windy November days before the ducks get too skittish.

woodsie likes this.
  9. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

".....under the beach"

First time I heard the expression about 35 years ago in Wachapreague from Capt.Ray Parker I thought to myself, "How do you catch fish under the beach." He had to explain it to me.

10. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Gotta love a frozen coastal bay and you,ve got your boatblind set up on open water. A pure spectacle seeing hundreds of ducks working in the coarse of a hunt when their hidey holes are frozen in. If it ain,t frozen i,ll take my river huntin!