?BBQ Smoking Chicken & Ribs at Same Time ???

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BuckeyeDuck, Mar 4, 2006.

1. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

You may recall I won a vertical propane smoker here...and since have messed around with it quite a bit, but...

Well I have to entertain next weekend and there are two whole chickens (to be quartered) and 12 lbs worth of ribs in my fridge that I do not want to screw up...so my question is:

Given that it has 2 cooking racks, the top one near the lid and the bottom one near the waterpan, which meat would you put on which rack and for how long?

I was thinking chicken on bottom where cooler and ribs on top for the duration, but then thought maybe the ribs would benefit from being on the bottom near the waterpan while the chicken cooks on top for a few hours, then finish them seperate? I'll be aiming for ~ 225 degrees on the thermometer on top.

I'm in uncharted territory here. :z :z :z As always, I appreciate the advice. - BD

[​IMG]

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Many people steam or boil their ribs first, then put in the smoker. That is one option. Just boil the ribs till they are cooked, let cool, rub as you see fit, then put them on the bottom rack. Put the chicken on the top and cook till they are done, and the ribs should be done also.

3. BuckeyeDuck

No precooking, that's the dilema. Maybe I'll just put the ribs in first. I was hoping maybe if you put chicken the bottom rack shielded by the waterpan and ribs on the top they'd finish at the same time??

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

IMHO--If you BOIL the RIBS--You might as well throw them out!!!

5. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

Boiled or baked ribs are a shortcut, and a copout. I wholeheartedly agree with the gentleman from Cashton Wisconsin.

6. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

I'd definintely put the ribs on the bottom and the chicken on the top if you're cooking the chicken whole. I see a delimma with putting one over the other. As they cook the fat will drip down onto the stuff below. Do you want ribs with a chicken fat taste or chicken with a beef/pork fat taste? If you cook the chicken whole you can put them on a verticla roaster with a drip pan underneath and you won't have the drip problem.

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

As said above.....Do Not Boil ribs.

I use the 3-2-1 method.

Remove the membrane from the ribs.
    Put your ribs in a brine for 1 hour to let the meat absorb as much water as they can.
    Pat them dry.....smoke will not penetrate wet meat.
    Put on your favorite rub.....I use paprika,salt,pepper,onion flakes,and garlic powder.chilii powder if your like them more spicy.
    Set the smoker temp at 225-230 degrees
    Put them in the smoker for 3 hours.
    Brine the chiken for 1 hour....same as above for the ribs,put on rub.
    Put the chicken in after 2 hours are up.
    Open the smoker after 3 hours and wrap the ribs in tinfoil,put on top rack.
    I put apple juice in the water pan.
    Add more wood...it won't be to much for the ribs,since they are in tinfoil.
    After 2 more hours unwrap the ribs.
    1 more hour and everything should be done.

Total cooking time....Ribs.....6 hours

Chicken 4 hours...180 degrees at the thigh

8. BuckeyeDuck

Thanks Guys, that's some good info. Definately didn't know the part about wet meat not absorbing smoke and the drip thing is a good consideration, I guess I was worried more about temps at each rack. As long as the waterpan stays full, shouldn't the bottom rack be cooler than the top rack? I plan on getting a digital wireless thermometer soon, just don't have one yet.

I plan on filling the waterpan with grocery store Bourbon :) , I'll throw some apple juice in there too :tu

9. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

DO NOT BOIL RIBS!!!! Smoke /Cook the ribs on the bottem at least 6-8 hours at 225. You can always finsih them in the oven. DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE THE MEMBRAIN OFF THE BACKSIDE OF THE RIBS...

Do some with dry rub.

10. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

If you have room in your smoker,I've also found that smoke penetrates better and they get done faster if you split the chickens in half along the backbone.