?BBQ Smoking Chicken & Ribs at Same Time ???

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BuckeyeDuck, Mar 4, 2006.

1. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

I quarter them and remove most of the backbone (the wives don't like to eat a whole or half chicken :l ) :tu I used to do a recipe on the grill I called "County Fair Chicken" marinated in garlic vinegarette for a few days and cooked low & smokey w/ the fat dripping on the grill, but since I got this smoker, there's no turning back. I've had more fun with this thing than I ever did with my grills. Thanks David :tu

I guess this is the challenge: Getting the Ribs and the Chicken to time out at the same time, and I've got a limited room to stuff three racks of ribs and 2 whole chickens, but I guess there could be worse problems in life :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Localduck

Localduck Elite Refuge Member

One great thing about the smoker: Food doesn't dry out if you leave it in a little too long. If you have to cook something a couple hours longer - no problem. I like to allow plenty of cooking time, especially in cold weather. As was said, 6 hrs is probably about right for ribs. If it's cold outside, maybe a little longer.

3. Y-10

Y-10 Senior Refuge Member

I Slow Cook My Ribs 5-8 Hours, Depending On Temp. I Finish Them Off At A Little Higher Temp To Melt The Fat Away, And Keep Them Moist By Spraying A Little Apple Juice On Them While They Smike/cook. I Also Use A Dry Rub 12/24 Hours Ahead Of Time. The Dry Rub Almost Turns Into A Bbq Sauce By The Time They Are Done. If You Pull On A Bone, It Should Pull Away With A Little Effort, Not Quite On Its Own. My Chicken, I Dont Pull Untill It Hits 185. No Reason You Cant Cook Them Together. I Use A Broiler Pan Full Of Beer Or Apple Juice On The Upper Rack. Keeps Whatever Is On Top Moist, And The Dripping From Dropping.