googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Be safe. Check and recheck your gear

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Buck Eye, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Buck Eye

Buck Eye Elite Refuge Member

Going to be rough conditions for the next few days. Wind chill around 0 mid week. These conditions are when we have fatalities here in NC. Check your gear and make sure your rig can handle the extra weight of the ice. Also make sure you controls do not freeze.

As far as the ramps. If you see anyone pouring five gallon buckets of water down the ramp you need to report them. This is one of the worst NCWR tickets you can get. Obstruction of NC Navigable water is a major fine and it violates the NC Trust. Read about it. Some major fines have been given out for this in the tens of thousands.

Also think twice before you take kids on the open water. Been a while since we had cold weather for this period of time. You South Carolina guys should be happy because we are getting ready to loose a good amount of ducks. Friday night, I lost 75 percent of the birds I was holding on my farms. Full moon and ice do not help. Ice eaters help but birds will get out of Dodge when there is this much ice. Hope to start seeing some new birds. Heading to Ocracoke but not looking forward to getting in a curtain box when it is 8 degrees.

Safe hunting to everyone!

2. bigdrumnc

bigdrumnc Elite Refuge Member

why would anyone throw a five gallon bucket of water on the ramp? this kind of weather will not only kill you, but freezes grease in shift cables, steering cables, breaks hatches, condensation between the kill switch and safety lanyard, drains batteries, snaps brittle hatch toggles, bursts trailer light bulbs, freezes plugs in self bailing through hulls, makes for a slippery entry into a boat from the dock, snaps cheap decoy line, and if you own a wooden boat do not try to break ice!!!!! Cary a charging port for cellular devices (iphones drain quick or dont work at all in cold weather), jumper cables, and 2x4s for frozen boat ramp traction. Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coachcornbread likes this.
  3. Woodie Jumper

Woodie Jumper Senior Refuge Member

Don't forget a change of dry clothes in case you get wet. Also a can of de ice to thraw your gun out if it gets froze.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

5 gallon buckets of course sand or sharp grey gravel in the truck.
    I once came back to the ramp in a freezing rain. This was years ago and I was young. Lowered the trailer down the ramp using it’s front swing down wheel and a rope being let out around the hitch ball. Then tied off the rope in the hitch ball and slowly pulled the rig up with the truck staying on flat land. Luckilly had a good amount of parking lot ahead of the truck so the trailer and boat couyld travel to flat ground. Then hooked it up and skated out the ramp lot and onto the road that was rough enough gravel that I had decent traction. Then the asphalt road had been salted/sanded. Quite an adventure overall.