Bear Alaskan

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by jrin99, Sep 22, 2014.

1. jrin99

jrin99 Senior Refuge Member

I have my Grandpa's old Bear Alaskan bow. I don't I will be able to sell it and don't want it to just go to waste. If you want it, it's yours. Just pay for shipping is all I ask.

2. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

That was my first bow. It shot where I pointed it. I had a lot of fun bowhunting with it.

Tom

3. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

Specs and photos?

4. Cap'n. Cook

Cap'n. Cook Refuge Member

My brother-in-law gave me his old Alaskan when he up-graded to a Kodiak, back in 1972 - my first bow and entry into archery. I shot it until I up-graded in 1986 to a "modern" recurve (still my primary bow). I still shoot it on pre-season squirrel hunts/scouting missions/roves, local club shoots, etc. and she shoots very well. Has some character marks, but otherwise looks good, too.

I had her appraised this past Spring by a Bear factory rep @ a local shoot, and he said it was worth maybe $50 to $60 to the right person on a good day. A "vintage bow" dealer at that shoot said the same thing, and declined to make an offer (said he couldn't make enough profit to justify handling it).

All that being said in the spirit of full disclosure, I would like to have more information on your Alaskan, such as draw weight and is it in shootable condition. It might be a candidate for our local Archery In The Schools Program; shoots lefty or righty! Or, I may lend it to ASP and use it myself for squirrel hunts, stump roving, and the 3-D target range.

Thank you for offering this bow to an interested archer; that's the spirit I like to see amongst our fraternity. http://www.refugeforums.com/ubb/thumbsup.gif