Bearded Hen this morning

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by hailcall, May 12, 2007.

1. hailcall

hailcall Elite Refuge Member

Slob hunter I do way more for wildlife conservation than you I can promise you that. Your opinion mean nothing to me as you have nothing better to do than place yourself on a pedastal and bash others. What organizations do you belong to and how much money and time have you spent this year helping someone other than yourself. You have the Fu_king nerve to call me a slob hunter yet know Zero about me. The reason we both shot is we wanted to, no meat was wasted and the bird was killed cleanly. Lets start with me.

I am Chairman of our local Delta waterfowl org
    Duck Callers Association of Nebraska
    I also buy an extra Waterfowl stamp just to help out
    I belong to Du
    National Wild Turkey Federation
    ENGC
    Nra
    Eastern Platte Muzzleloader Association
    Donate to Friends of The Rainwater Basins
    Elkhorn Valley Retreiver club
    Salt Valley Retreiver club
    Manage Huntingne.com
    Member of Omaha Fish and Wildlife Club
    Donate decoys yearly to the Don Plowman Youth hunt.
    Have donate 3 calls this year to youth giveaways on the refuge.

I always make time for my family,I run a business, I make improvements to my land and still find time to do all this conservation work. I work close to 16 hours a day and break my arse.I have done it all my life and for being 32 I am very sucessful in my marriage, financially, and everything else that I choose pursue. I am probably more successful than most people twice my age. I work for everything I have nothing was given to me, I am not going to have some person calling me a slob hunter when I am nothing of the sort.You know nothing about me and yet you place judgement over my actions that were perfectly legal? Where did ya go to college? Did you even bother to go? You seem to not be very well rounded making a statement like that. Life consists of grey areas everything is not only black and white. I went to the Eastern Ne longbeards chapter and donated over 750.00 in one night to benifit turkeys in our state what about you? I won several raffles and donated my item to the Jakes ie the Kids because I figured that if I needed it I would just go buy it. The auctioneer and Chapter President even took the time to Thank me for my generosity towards the Youth at that banquet. Heck your probably too cheap to even buy a ticket to help a chapter out.

Please tell me what you have done this year? Probably spent 25 dollars for a Du sticker. Ya I am a slob hunter yet I get more youth involved in the sport everyyear than many folks. I own a daycare center and even teach my preschoolers to run a call with the parents permission. Heck most of them can probably run a call better than you Kazoo Boy. LMAO You should get more info before you pass judgement on people. I need no one to tell me I am the man my actions dictate that I care about the environment and do more than my share to protect it especially on my property. DO You??? I can do as I wish on MY Land as long as it is legal. So what do you care what I do with my flock of turkeys? Sure they belong to the public but if they are on my land they are mine cause morons like yourself wouldnot get on MY Land. So save your sheckles and maybe if your smart which I am questioning if you are you can also have your own land maybe even more than an acre. So please enlightnen me what contributions you have made. I am anxiously awaiting your reply.

2. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

my hats off to you hail. you've stood up good from the "holier than thou" hunters here. you did nothing wrong by shooting a hen turkey. i had rather share a blind with you than some of the so called hunters that have brow beaten you for shooing the hen. you are da man in my books.

old

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

still dont agree with both shootin the bird

4. muddhen

muddhen Senior Refuge Member

that makes twice of us.

5. hailcall

So you don't agree that is fine not everyone feels the same way about things. Why does it matter if we both shot it ? I suppose you and another hunting buddy have never both picked the same bird out of a incomming flock of duck or geese. That bird would have been shot twice. Why is this any different? You have never placed a second shot on a cripple or have two guys trying to kill that wounded duck that is low riding when it is 45 yards out there. If you say No I think your lying.
    This bird is legal in our state and is not going to waste so what is the big deal that we shot at the same time. I have killed enough Turkeys in my day with both archery and shotgun that I am not worried about who gets it. As long as it goes to a good use ie gets eaten.

Thankfully God made us intelligent enough to rationalize and think for ourselves.What if everyone had the same opinion? I think that life would get rather boring and no progress would ever be made. What would have happened if Columbus really thought the world was flat Spain would never have accidentally found America. What if Edison would have not invented the lightbulb we would be living in the dark or using oil lamps. What if we didn't have people like Aldo Leupold, Teddy Roosevelt, where would our wild game populations be?? Such as Market hunting, and the use of punt guns?These laws are put in place for a reason. Biologists have studied these animals and Game and Parks Commissions have made these laws because they feel that the populations can sustain these types of Harvests. Actually if you do some research you will find that hunting actually has very little affect on populations when it is done legally.

Hunting is not the reason the Bluebill population is down. If hunting is to blame for so many species declining: I am speaking in recent years btw, then why does Texas have over 3 million feral hogs? You can hunt them year round and use bait, run them with dogs, why is there so many? I will tell you Why.

Lack of predators
    Hogs can reproduce at a young age approximatelty like 6 months and produce 2 litters per year.
    With this being said If I decide to shoot a pregnant sow and she has 6 unborn piglets inside of her would you be giving me this same speach? Probably not! Why? because people have been complainning about the damage which is immense by the way that hogs do to crops, land by rooting and such. Now back to Turkeys

Nebraska has reached an alltime record number of birds and since the turkey was reintroduced in our state. We have turkeys in every county of our state. in Western Nebraska and SouthEast Ne Farmers are complaining about turkeys. In wintering flocks it is not uncommon to see 500 turkeys in parts of NE. Why do we have so many birds now. Lack of Predators, abundance of food,and turkeys are amazingly adaptive critters, they can make just about any habitat their home.

Now this is my final post defending my position on this thread. For those that supported me thanks. For those that wanna be Holier than thou. GET a Life and while your getting one do something positive for someone other than yourself.
    Seth

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

so if you dont care who got it then why did ya shoot? haha im glad you killed her, well Both of you, never taken one just confused at matter, we usually take turns shootin ducks and geese so ya know :sp

7. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Funny how different parts of a state can be so, well, different.

In the Sand Hills region, lots of folks were complaining this season about the lack of birds. Winter flocks of 300 were down to 80-100. I spent part of last week there, and I can assure you, predators abound in that area. I had three different coyotes go for my decoys. I found numerous ripped up turks, which I have not seen many of in the past. The land owner said it's bobcats and that he had never seen so many bobcats.

I wouldn't want to be a bobcat or coyote in the Sand Hills this year :eek:

At least one can hope the birds rebound with a good hatch (less one poor bearded hen of course) :dv

mudhen - CA

8. hailcall

. MudHen very True. I hope them cats get trapped someone will make alot of cash.I will post a link later of my buddies line he caught some nice cats last year.:yes

9. NORCALDUCK

NORCALDUCK Elite Refuge Member

Matt, I've seen those studies. We did our own studies last fall. Every turkey we killed was stuffed full of grapes, no kidding. Even more interesting was an invite we got last fall to shoot honkers who had been coming into a vineyard and eating grapes - lots of grapes. They actually put a fence around part of the vineyard just to keep the geese out. Some of the premium vineyards are getting $10,000 a ton for grapes and/or $100+ a bottle. So it is a big deal to the grower.

I am in agreement with you on hens in general - but in certain areas around here there are so many turkeys that it is ridiculous. They also have safe havens around the vineyards that we hunt, so it is very doubtful we will put much of a dent in the population.

Peace out!;)

10. NORCALDUCK

NORCALDUCK Elite Refuge Member

Hailcall - I hear you about the two shooters. Reminds me of a time when I was young :h and my brother and I were deer hunting. We came across a bedded down nice 3X3 buck that we both saw at the same time about 30 yards away. Surprise, two shots were fired. The only argument was who hit it in the neck and who hit it in the shoulder!:no

Congrats on your trophy.:tu