Bearded Hen this morning

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by hailcall, May 12, 2007.

1. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

And I continue to applaud your efforts......the fact that you have convinced most of the vineyard owners within a five mile radius that EVERYTHING eats grapes and you are only there to help is nothing short of brilliant. Although I didn't find any grapes in those geese I cleaned, I'm sure they were hurting the vineyard at least as much as the hot air baloons were. You are my hero and I look forward to future grape saving crusades.:yes :tu

2. NORCALDUCK

NORCALDUCK Elite Refuge Member

SAVE THE GRAPES!!!!!:dv

3. hailcall

hailcall Elite Refuge Member

4. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

our kill is down because of poor hatches the last 3 years. not due to killing hens but because the first weekend in June (hatch for those of you still learning at home) we have had torrential down poors the last few years thus really hurting the hatch. It was bound to catch up to us at some point. The weather early this spring hurt our season as well. It really put the breeding on hold for a while and the birds were acting a little different. not making excuses just better reasons than killing a hen.

5. LittandJake

we can kill 2 of either sex and we still have more turkeys than Alabama.:confused: Slob hunters? Wow!

6. LittandJake

if they are soooo common how come all I see is hens with no beard. And don't say its cause I'm not out in the woods cause that sure isn't the case. If they were so common they would be harvested more often. I have seen two in all the years I have been out there. 2. I'm pretty sure I would have seen more than that if the woods were as overrun with them as you make it sound. If one comes by me it is getting blown down. I want to have one mounted.

7. LittandJake

I was the first to ask at the top of this post. Not because I care, I just didn't understand what you meant. I don't care if you had a firing squad empty guns at it. It is a cool trophy legally harvested. Congrats to you. By the way, the way you have handled the above comments speaks volumes as to the kind of guy you are. Nicely played.:tu

8. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

litt, from 3 to 5% of hens are bearded. for some reason around here they are not that uncommon. one day 14 hens came by us and there were two of them bearded. on this same farm i know of at least 6 bearded hens that have been killed over the past few years. and the turkey population, for whatever reason, on this farm remains high. i hope one day you get to kill one and have it mounted.

old

9. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I think it depends on the area and the gene pool as to the bearded hens. We hunt one place in Georgia where about every fifth hen is bearded and another area in Oklahoma where I've seen as many as 5 or 6 hens a day that were bearded. I'm not saying that they are a dime a dozen, it's just a roll of the dice to be where there are a good number of them. I shot a bearded hen in Kentucky years ago where it was legal and only because I wanted it mounted. I won't pull the trigger on another on purpose though. I often wonder if a bearded hen mated to a big-bearded gobbler produces young with the potential of bigger beards.:rolleyes: I'll have to consult some geneticist about that.

What are the odds on this. When in Durango this past season I had 36 hens milling around in front of me on an oak flat high in the Sierra Madres. I could hear the gobbler as he made his way to the harem and he walked in and got himself killed. When I went to pick him up I heard a bird flopping about 20 yards over the crest of the ridge. You guessed it, a hen had picked her head up or took a step at the wrong time and caught a pellet in the ear. She was beautiful, not a feather missing and had a 7 inch beard. So now I've killed two and still don't want to shoot another hen. She will look good standing next to the big 13 inch bearded gobbler though:) However, out of those 36 hens I watched for some 20 minutes, I counted 10 or 11 with beards and two of those had wing tags that had been put on by Mexican biologists. Was an interesting morning.

Game laws are there for a reason and some states say male turkeys, some say bearded birds and one state I know of and live in says gobblers with beards of at least 6 inches. I have no qualms over someone harveating a legal bird. Que cera. A turkeys average life span isn't much longer than a Mouring Dove anyway.

good luck in the coming seasons. I'm already planning trips for next year.

10. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

water, i was looking for the percentage of bearded hens and saw an article that said the average life span of a hen is 2 years.

old